Deleting registered customer email address.

violinman

Hello, I have a issue with deleting and existing customers registered email address. Cubecart will not allow me to delete it, this is the error message:

"That email is already being used, failed to update customer" it makes no difference if the customer is registered or unregistered.

I am using Cubecart 6.2.9

Thank you,

Brian

In CubeCart_customer, the 'email' column is assigned a UNIQUE index and does not allow nulls. (It is also part of a FULLTEXT index - irrelevant for this situation.)

As such, the database engine is objecting to the UPDATE that attempts to blank out the email value.

The wording of CubeCart's error message is perhaps misleading.

But if the problem is actually, somehow, that there exists a record in CubeCart_customer that has for 'email' a zero-length string (which is not the same as a null), trying to make a second record have the same value - a zero-length string - would violate the UNIQUE constraint.

Well I think I understand that, so if I replaced the email with a different email address would that be accepted? The other problem I have is removing a customer who has placed an order sometime in the past, is there a way to remove the customer without having first to delete their past orders?

Many thanks,

Brian

Using a new email address not already being used is permitted.

You can force deleting a record from CubeCart_customer (though not through normal CubeCart processes).

You can disable a customer, which may get you the same effect as what I assume you are wanting.

That would be using an external database manager utility, such as phpMyAdmin.

Or, in admin, Maintenance, Query Database (Advanced) tab, you can enter a manually constructed DELETE query.

I strongly recommend you just disable the customer.

Deleting a record that several other tables make reference to needs radical justification.

Archived