404 Page Not Found Error

Brian T

Hi, I've just noticed that I'm getting this error for all the pages/links on my website  www.mentalstarters.co.uk

I'm apparently using the latest version of cubecart (which I upgraded to the other day).  I can find all the pages, etc in the admin section of the website, so not sure why the links aren't working. 

Any suggestions please ?

Many thanks.  Brian.

Your hosting environment uses Apache, so we need to check if the .htaccess file was updated.

View the contents of Cubecart's .htaccess file and make sure there is this statement:

It must look EXACTLY like this:

RewriteRule ^(.*)?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]

Then, in admin, examine the Store Setting, Search Engines tab, "SEO URL Extension" is set to what you want it to be. The default is "None", but the other option is best if you have URLs out in the world that have the .html extension.

Then, be sure to have Cubecart clear it's internal cache.

Hi - I can find the .htaccess file, but I don't know how to open it or look inside it.

(Also, I'm not sure that it's clearing the cache, as there seems to be a lot of files in the Cache folder (which is one of the directories I can see when I look using WS FTP Pro)

I've just removed the .htaccess file, and in the Store Setting, Search engine Tab, I've set the SEO URL Extension to have the .html extension, and the pages are now showing.

Hoping that will have solved it - not sure if it will work properly without the .htaccess   file I deleted.

CubeCart will always test to see if there is an .htaccess file, and will automatically create one if there isn't.

Your hosting environment (Cpanel?) will have a text file viewer.

Files that have as their first character a period is, by definition, hidden and protected. Your WS-FTP (an excellent program, by the way) needs to be configured to show dotted-files, and if I recall, the FTP server needs to be configured to allow dotted-files to be included in FTP'd directory listings.

I just checked your site and none of the links have the .html extension. But it's all working.

Archived