Repeat Order/Subscription - possible?

CJC

I haven't seen a plugin extension to do this. But it could be done.

I do manage a store that sells a "subscription", that which relies exclusively on the mailing house maintaining the address list of those who get any particular issue of the publication. (That address list could be managed locally, but the mailing house's charges include automatic address verification and updates. And I do keep track of who was supposed to get what on a spreadsheet.)

When I use the term 'subscription' its not an actual subscription to any type of periodical. I mean it as an auto-renewing order. For example someone automatically gets the same order of coffee sent to them every month. The industry has hijacked the term 'subscription' to mean any type of repeating order. So that's what I'm after. It would have to be something that CC generates itself. OpenCart does this. That's one of the things I'm looking at in regards to considering a move from OC to CC.

I did do something very similar a few years back -- using CC3 -- to accept recurring donations to a political action fund.

It relied on Authorize.net's Automatic Recurring Billing (ARB - https://www.authorize.net/our-features/recurring-payments.html) feature, for which it maintained the credit card data, emailed a summary containing all order codes that had been processed, with details of how many remaining billings to go if set up that way. The summary also contained order codes where the credit card could not be processed.

I didn't have to worry about making any mail deliveries, but I imagine that if I did, it would have been a manual operation to load into the database whatever pertinent info from the summary was needed. Then the warehouse staff would do their thing.

Authorize.net's ARB (at the time) allowed for X amount at Y period for Z number of times. For example: $50.00 monthly for 12 months, or $120.00 annually for three years.

There weren't many changes made to CC3: a selectable amount to pay via options, a selectable period via options, and a selectable number of times via options. These details needed to be retrieved from the options array and fed into the ARB gateway module.

I vaguely recall seeing a plugin that set up a recurring/repeating order feature. I wonder if that was one of SemperFi's?

21 hours ago, CJC said:

When I use the term 'subscription' its not an actual subscription to any type of periodical. I mean it as an auto-renewing order. For example someone automatically gets the same order of coffee sent to them every month. The industry has hijacked the term 'subscription' to mean any type of repeating order. So that's what I'm after. It would have to be something that CC generates itself. OpenCart does this. That's one of the things I'm looking at in regards to considering a move from OC to CC.

We have recently create a site that does this but they only deal with 3 products - see https://www.grandies.co.uk  This approach currently wouldnt work very well with a much larger number of subscription products but there could be changes made to the way it works if you are interested

Ian

51 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

We have recently create a site that does this but they only deal with 3 products - see https://www.grandies.co.uk  This approach currently wouldnt work very well with a much larger number of subscription products but there could be changes made to the way it works if you are interested

Ian

Are you using some type of plugin for CC that does this?

22 hours ago, havenswift-hosting said:

No, this site uses a custom bit of code within an iframe and a third party subscription provider.  The integration could be expanded on and built into a plugin but there wasnt a requirement to do that in this case

So in your case, does an order get generated each month within CC or does that not matter because the subscription provider is handling fulfillment?

Archived