payment to Paypal not going through

Bad Wolf

FINALLY made a couple of sales through the shop instead of in person  or custom sales and the sales are showing in the cart, but the system never emailed me upon a sale (which I thought it would do) and the payment never went over to paypal to take the money from the customer. I know PayPal will alert me on a payment received so I know that one way or the other I would be alerted of a sale.

I know the payment gateway was set up properly - at least I thought it was. I have it set for paypal and to capture the payment immediately using / in the paypal extension.
Any clues? I have a one day wiggle room on this because tomorrow is a bank holiday here so no mail will be shipped. I usually ship immediately upon payment.

Thanks for any help you can give.

9 hours ago, bsmither said:

If the gateway extension (such as one of the PayPals) uses CubeCart's Request functions, then there could be a record in admin, Request Log.

OK well something is definitely wrong and I have no idea how to fix it. This is the error from my customer and then we tested the shop a couple times ourselves here and it has the same errors.  I have no idea how to fix it. Is this something at the server level?  It seems to be so what do I need them to fix? I have the server working on it too.

ccerror.jpg

Some CubeCart users have said that CubeCart's "reorder" feature didn't work, but it might be worth a try.

Have the customer log in to their account and view past orders. If the order that needs to be paid is listed, and is at Pending, then clicking the "Reorder" button would take them to a Checkout page with that cart's contents.

14 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Some CubeCart users have said that CubeCart's "reorder" feature didn't work, but it might be worth a try.

Have the customer log in to their account and view past orders. If the order that needs to be paid is listed, and is at Pending, then clicking the "Reorder" button would take them to a Checkout page with that cart's contents.

Doesn't seem to be working. She rebooted the server. I went and bought something but upon purchase, the system did not connect to Paypal nor did it email me until I went into the ACP and clicked "processing"  on the order. 
I tried the reorder like you said and it does not work. Nothing sends me a notice via email from the shop itself when someone purchases something. it's definitely not connecting to PP either as that would be a backup notification of a sale.

I also would very much like to get that cart to the top level instead of the splash page but I had a few questions that never got answered regarding moving it and upgrading.

Hosting said she's talking with her supervisor and they think it might be a communication issue with paypal itself. This is getting way past my abilities. I don't even know what to ask them.

Shouldn't all of this automate as soon as it connects to PP? So it has to be a communication issue with the module and the site.

The only manual part for a CubeCart owner to do is to switch the status of an order from Processing to Complete as soon as the order got shipped out. (If a digital-only order, even that is automatic.)

But no, CubeCart does not sit there hammering away at a malfunctioning internet.

35 minutes ago, bsmither said:

The only manual part for a CubeCart owner to do is to switch the status of an order from Processing to Complete as soon as the order got shipped out. (If a digital-only order, even that is automatic.)

But no, CubeCart does not sit there hammering away at a malfunctioning internet.

OK lol.... so it's a communication issue between PP and the system and that's why I'm not getting notices of monies being taken out. That's my "backup" since CC doesn't send me a notice that someone purchased an item. This means I have to go check daily / hourly to see if people buy things? <-- corrected

So this is what happens as a customer:
1- make order and complete.
2- page comes up ad gives me order # and what I bought etc.
3- nothing gets taken from Paypal.

This is what happens as a merchant.
Nothing. No notifications of any sort. The only way I knew there was an issue was because someone sent me a message on facebook. <-- this bit has been corrected. the rest no.
2- I go to the ACP and look and see there is the order.
3 - check PP and nothing is there.
4 - back to cart and set order to "processing" as it was stuck at "pending"
email about a new order now comes.

So by the above there seems to be the communication issue between PP and this cart. Could it be that I'm missing a module?

extensions.jpg

If I'm not missing a module, what do I need to tell Paypal if I have to call them?

35 minutes ago, bsmither said:

OK found one mistake on my part. I had the setting to notify me of an order when it's processing, so I switched that to pending.

I'm 99% sure this thing worked as I know I tested it.

This is what my server tech responded with if this is helpful. what is this nickname not specified bit even mean?

I'm not sure what PayPal might need to further diagnose. This probably is expecting POST data, but this is what happens when I curl the API link from your server.

--
[root@vxxx1 ~]# curl -I https://api.paypal.com
curl: (52) NSS: client certificate not found (nickname not specified)
--

"CC doesn't send me a notice that someone purchased an item."

In admin, Store Settings, Features tab, Misc section, "Order status for admin email notifications", the store owner can choose any one status to be notified when an order acquires that status. Note that the core code only pays attention to Pending and Processing choices.

Some store owners choose Pending so that they also become aware of those customers who walked away - for whatever reason.

From the screenshot above, it seems there are two versions of the same module that are enabled.

To the customer's point of view, this may then show two (identical) possible methods for using PayPal to pay.

I am curious to know if the folder names for these two modules are different.

Just now, bsmither said:

"CC doesn't send me a notice that someone purchased an item."

In admin, Store Settings, Features tab, Misc section, "Order status for admin email notifications", the store owner can choose any one status to be notified when an order acquires that status. Note that the core code only pays attention to Pending and Processing choices.

Some store owners choose Pending so that they also become aware of those customers who walked away - for whatever reason.

yeah, In my long post above I mentioned that and corrected it and tested it and I get an email of a sale.
The money does not get taken out of PayPal though.

What is this "nickname" thing the hosting tech mentions regarding the cert? I have no understanding of this.

I do not know what the 'nickname' is either.

I will make an educated guess that this is a phrase that is coming from the NSS library that provides the encryption necessary for SSL certificate validation and continuing communication. It is not something being generated by CubeCart.

5 minutes ago, bsmither said:

I do not know what the 'nickname' is either.

I will make an educated guess that this is a phrase that is coming from the NSS library that provides the encryption necessary for SSL certificate validation and continuing communication. It is not something being generated by CubeCart.

What is the NSS Library? Is it something that hosting needs to address or Paypal?

Hosting provider.

From what I understand, for Linux environments, PHP gets "compiled" against each named distribution and distribution version. (Fortunately, distributions have "repositories" where such builds of numerous programs are maintained.)

When "building" a PHP package to be installed on a Linux box, there is a list of what is wanted to be included into the package to be used by PHP (database connectoids, curl, ssl libraries, etc). Some PHP packages built for certain linux distributions use NSS, others use OpenSSL, others might use something else.

The SSL encryption library can also be installed separately into the distribution, as a distinct resource that could be made available to any program that needs to use its functionality.

33 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Hosting provider.

From what I understand, for Linux environments, PHP gets "compiled" against each named distribution and distribution version. (Fortunately, distributions have "repositories" where such builds of numerous programs are maintained.)

When "building" a PHP package to be installed on a Linux box, there is a list of what is wanted to be included into the package to used by PHP (database connectoids, curl, ssl libraries, etc). Some PHP packages built for certain linux distributions use NSS, others use OpenSSL, others might use something else.

The SSL encryption library can also be installed separately into the distribution, as a distinct resource that could be made available to any program that needs to use its functionality.

hosting fixed it! cURL needed an update and server needed rebooting. I was able to make a sale to myself and issue myself a refund.

Archived