CubeCart vs. Post-Brexit World Trade

cubicsquare

Hi there,

Please may l enquire how to adapt CubeCart to the new scenario.

I'm not quite sure what is going on but apparently to sell to the UK, foreign sellers will need a UK tax remittance account.

Surely sooner or later, the reverse will be true too?

Does this affect CubeCart in any way?

Also, is there a way CubeCart can cater for new situation with regard to:

- GB EORI / XI (for selling to northern ireland from UK)

- HS Codes for all items

- Country of origin for all items

- Either collecting and paying destination country's customs charges, or advising foreign buyers of the exact charges, or at least advising them that charges are likely, at checkout?

- Keeping track of thresholds (e.g. going to EU, or entering UK) before customs pounce?

I think some of this data may need to be part of the upload spreadsheet. If so, please may l know what the column headings will be named?

I suspect personal shopping sites will face a battle against online marketplaces that take care of the mess upfront, at point of sale.

I think shopping carts may need to find a way to connect with HS codes, and thereby give accurate breakdowns of customs charges, and even collect them upfront so that an item is delivered duty paid (DDP).

15 hours ago, cubicsquare said:

- HS Codes for all items

- Country of origin for all items

These need to be held against each product, so a couple of simple extra fields added to the inventory would be easy to add   @Al Brookbanks can these be added in next version as also have a lot of people asking for them.  They will also need to be printed on various documents.

- Either collecting and paying destination country's customs charges, or advising foreign buyers of the exact charges, or at least advising them that charges are likely, at checkout?

- Keeping track of thresholds (e.g. going to EU, or entering UK) before customs pounce?

This is really an accounting procedure as is outside of the scope of CubeCart

- GB EORI / XI (for selling to northern ireland from UK)

Not sure that this is inside the scope of CubeCart either

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your response.

Al Brookbanks - please give us a CubeCart revision. Here is my suggestion for the bare minimum, having read Havenswift's response:

1. I think we can at least agree that country of origin and HS code can be added to the upload spreadsheet. Please, don't display HS code on the adverts though, or have a way of muting it if need be.

The reason for  having  HS code and country of origin on the upload spreadsheet is that we have a record of how to tax the item if we decide to deliver duty paid. Also we will know how to fill in the customs slip for each item (e.g. if we are selling miscellanea). I think it might have other uses too, within our own country's taxation system e.g. if there is a tax inspection, we might need to know HS code and Country of Origin right off the bat.

If you can implement this suggestion please may i know the column headings that you will use for HS Code and Country of Origin?

2. This is pushing the boat out a bit: i wonder if there's a way for CubeCart to deliver duty paid. That is, remit to the HMRC and / or the destination country's government the tax and / or duty due. I'm guessing the answer would be a flat "No" because it would be a job bigger than CubeCart itself. You'd have to link the trade tariff database with the seller's online tax account, and the seller might need a separate tax account for every country in the world.

However, online marketplaces will probably all be doing this soon. eBay already is. I don't know if Amazon are yet but obviously it won't take long for them to catch up.

This is the relevant page, it looks sort of like a DDP policy (delivered duty paid): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G26L6NHEDGERVR8W

That leaves shopping carts at a distinct disadvantage, because some sellers are reporting horror stories of international items being returned to sender when the true cost of the import becomes apparent. Customs in every country are now onto every parcel. Delivering Duty Paid at least leaves the prospective buyer with no surprises, even if it does more often than not put the buyer completely off.

Edit: I think actually for request (2), it could be simplified if the final delivered cost is estimated (not collected, just estimated) upfront or at least during checkout.

That way, no fancy electronic tax collection, and the customer is nonetheless absolutely aware of the final cost.

Request (2) is therefore conceivably do-able, at least as a plugin.

• 3 months later...

Hi there, just to echo my requests, in a more simple manner:

I think all shopping carts would do well to get themselves an electronic interface for the seller to enable (should they wish):

- DDP (Delivered Duty Paid - the electronic interface must give an accurate estimate of the end cost inc. import VAT and Duty for destination country, perhaps excluding the courier's customs clearance fee as that is down to the courier)

- IOSS (Import One Stop Shop - for selling from UK to EU) - this is always bettern than DDP when both IOSS and DDP are possible i.e. goods sold for up to 150 EUR, because there is no customs clearance fee, so that removes a huge proportion of import costs for goods sold at less than 150 EUR.

Currently all the basic seller can do is offer DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) (aka DAP - Delivered At Place), which may result in customer returns when faced with import costs from their country's customs.

Archived