German translation only partially?

MostlyConfused

It is known to be incomplete as it is not maintained - none of the languages are except the main language definition file which is in English and contains every single language string.  If you do go through and translate any / all of the missing language strings then I am sure that @Al Brookbanks and other German speakers would be very grateful.  If you use the Admin Language option to do the translations, these are stored in the database but it is then possible to export these as a language file which could be sent to Al to be added back as an update

EDIT: I already found it. I set my Admin-account to English and it works.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A follow-up question: When I installed CC first, it was from the original download and the only language included was English.
I just installed it a second time locally for testing. This time I put the German language file into it's folder before setup.

The first time, I got a very incomplete frontend-translation as explained above. But the Admin section still was in English.

On second install, the Administration now also is in German.
But boy, is it BAD! To me it looks loke an automated translation of some kind and some of it does not make sense at all.
Also some of the German translations are quite long and break the layout.

Is there a way to have the frontend in German, but the Admin still in English?
I would much prefer it this way.

You can set the store's default language in German.

Additionally, in admin, Administrators, bring up your settings page. Here you can choose what language you want to be working with.

Now, it will very likely be the case that once you have started your admin session using your preferred language, the storefront will also show in that language.

To have the storefront show in the default language, either be viewing the storefront in a completely different browser (so as to not share cookies), or log out of admin (thus creating a new session and a new cookie). To force the storefront to use the language you want to see, set the store so that only logged-in admins have access to the language selector that gets shown on the storefront (admin, Store Settings, Layout tab, Skin Settings section).

3 hours ago, MostlyConfused said:

On second install, the Administration now also is in German.
But boy, is it BAD! To me it looks loke an automated translation of some kind and some of it does not make sense at all.
Also some of the German translations are quite long and break the layout.

Not sure when this was last done - probably many years ago hence the massive number that are missing. As to quality, maybe if you want to correct any of those as these will also be part of any exported language file 

Archived