Some images behaving strangely

While my client is busy adding products and uploading images, I noticed something strange.

Some of the images are being shown rotated in the frontend. But if I click on them, the big image is shown correctly.

Same happens in Admin > Images. They are rotated in list view, but ok when I click on them.

As far as I can tell, she photographs everything in the same way and with the same camera. Most images are ok though.
What gives? 

chr1.jpg

chr2.jpg

chr3.jpg.0aa2fad9d9228f7a95103ea4fe497183.jpg

chr4.jpg.40a9ad5db14ee278abf42361480b46f7.jpg

LOL. I've seen this before. Your browser won't lie but your computer / smartphone image viewer / editor may remember the rotation you like to look at them.

Its a simple as that I think.

It would be interesting to see the image headers as it may have preferred rotation or something. Maybe smartphone photos add that?

I was almost right....

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/amp/

27 minutes ago, Al Brookbanks said:

LOL. I've seen this before. Your browser won't lie but your computer / smartphone image viewer / editor may remember the rotation you like to look at them.

Its a simple as that I think.

It would be interesting to see the image headers as it may have preferred rotation or something. Maybe smartphone photos add that?

I was almost right....

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/amp/

That would definitely be the reason, if the images were rotated (or not) everywhere.

The strange thing here is, that list view and thumbnails in CC behave differently than enlarged view (lightbox).
See my examples at the very top.
They should at least both be wrong. Or both not.
Chrome, FF, Edge and also Safari on iPad all look and behave the same.

I only work on PC at this point and the images are not mine, but uploaded by the client. So my side can't "remember" any rotation if I understand you correctly.

55 minutes ago, Al Brookbanks said:

No that would make sense because the thumbnails are new. GD isn't very clever and will remove the orientation preference. The source image is unchanged and the browser probably does respect the orientation preference.

I see. And there is no way to change that, so it's consistent whichever way?

I stumbled across a group of issues posted on the GitHub repository for DropZone.
(https://github.com/dropzone/dropzone/issues?q=exif)

Please confer with the store owner to determine if images were uploaded using the "DropZone" area in Cubecart's admin.

Perhaps upgrading the DropZone library from the current 4.3.0 to 5.7.3 (the latest?).

A specific mention on v5.5.0 is:

"Correct photo orientation before uploading (if enabled)"

And 5.7.2:

"Fix orientation on devices that already handle it properly"

Archived