Search on website

Debyink

Can anyone explain why on my site can I search for sun and get products returned but I can't search for cat, I can search for cats but it doesn't return any cat products unless I purposely enter plurals in the description (for which at times they seem totally out of place and unrelated) I can search products in the admin search and it will find cat.

Is there anywhere we can add a tags section (like as seen on blogs) to place key words for that product ?

A few versions prior, the meta data "keywords" was removed from CubeCart. Some users elected to not remove that data feature (but still drop it from the templates) because CubeCart could use it in its front-side search algorithm.

There is a different search method used in the admin side of CubeCart.

Neither search algorithm is as flexible as one might hope for. For example (search|found): cat|cats, tax|taxes, foot|feet would require a sophisticated library of the language.

The front-side search has three opportunities (using the database engine's capabilities) to find something. The first is to use MATCH(). If nothing is found, then a whole word search is used (cat but not cats). If nothing found, then a partial word search is used (cat finds cats, copycat, and catsup).

There is current work to incorporate access to an ElasticSearch installation. (I don't know the capabilities of ElasticSearch other than that it is incredibly fast.)

Nothing for cat? Allow me to ask what percentage do you think the word cat appears in all of your products?

Yes, the database column and table configuration, and admin form elements could be added back (but the code would not be upgrade safe).

I have 11 products with the element 'cat' in the word: cat , Scattered, Delicate.  Unless your going to tell me it counts the category word as well in which case it would all of them.

Al already manually updates my site due to modifications already in place.

4 actual cat products , if someone is on my site looking for a cat stamp, they aren't going to type cats stamp, they will simply type cat stamp and search brings up No products found. I have amended my description to include the words cat, cats, (even puddy as you never know) and I won't go there with the other possibility 🤣

Archived