Interim Store Admin Fired, Back in My Lap

daveherr

HOLY MOLY 😳

I set up a small CC store for a client 2-3 years ago, then passed it back to the client who intended to get a family member/different person to take care of the week-to-week maintenance of their humble store. Last month the original client died due to COVID complications and his wife is going to attempt to keep things going.

Long story short: the site is still running 6.2.4.

While the store seems to be operating well still, are there any suggestions as to bringing the site up to your current standards and protections? Unfortunately they required several customizations mostly to the various messages displayed during the checkout process and subsequent email confirmations, so of course I can't just drop in newer 6.4.4 folders....

Depends on the customizations.

If any custom phrases were actually changed phrases using CubeCart's Language Phrase Editor, those changes are databased.

If any changes were made to the email content templates using CubeCart's Email Template Editor, those changes are databased.

Databased changes will persist across upgrades.

Hard edits to code and skin template files, however....

That's really sad to hear. 🙁

I hope you get it updated ok. We have upgrade instructions at https://support.cubecart.com

The customisations make it tricky....

This may help https://support.cubecart.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360003794278-How-can-I-upgrade-a-modified-v6-store-to-the-latest-version-without-overwriting-my-changes-

Oh wow, so 6.5.0b is where you are now. As I said, little site, so indeed they are on shared hosting.

This may have been discussed at length in other topics in your forum while I've been away, but it's related to my immediate upgrade - is this where amateur stores sort of get separated from pro? What I mean is: if Elasticsearch isn't available through this ISP (haven't checked yet), it kind of seems like CC will be split, with two sets of updates from then on, one for those not able to run Elasticsearch, and those who can?

As I see it (I'm really guessing here), an ElasticSearch interface and management console will be installed in CC65X and after, but not mandated to be used. I am confident that the current interface to MySQLi will still be functional. (Might as well remove the interface to mysql as PHP now supports only mysqli - and a couple of others that CC has no interface for, such as PDO.)

But as I read the announcement, CC650Beta is actually a "branch" of CC644 with only exploring ElasticSearch integration. Once that gets sorted, that "branch" will merge into the General Availability version.

Archived