Image upload size limit

You can change the limit.

Making the change needs to happen in a few different places (it's really enforced!).

However... this limit was selected because CubeCart makes derivative images (different smaller sizes) from these source files. To make these derivatives, there is a PHP extension (called GD) that CubeCart uses. The GD code needs to decompress the (compressed) PNG, JPG, GIF, etc, into system memory. Beginning with a compressed image of, for example, 1MB, the uncompressed image in memory will most likely exhaust all the memory that the operating system gave to PHP. Running out of memory will crash PHP.

So, increasing the max limit on per-image uploads invites trouble.

With a typical image of a product, what are its dimensions?

IrfanView has "Batch Conversion" capability where it will resize all images in a target folder to set dimensions. (We recommend 800 pixels on the longest side.)

Thank you so much. To be honest I would have to look as all of my products are currently in my Etsy shop and most are square with some being 4:3 ratio. The square ones are typically 2048x2048. I have a resize app and a compress app on my iPad. I will see if those will let me do them in batches. If not I think I will try what you suggested. 

Archived