customer reviews in meta description

Richard1967

I asked Richard to post here as my knowledge in this area is poor. The website already has valid Schema Markup for products with review data.

https://validator.schema.org/#url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.extremeracing.co.uk%2Fsummer-one-piece-base-layer.html 

I can't see any reason why Google can't show the rating on their listing but does anyone know much about the criteria for this to get it showing?

No doubt this is a fairly hot topic for all CC merchants.

The wording of the OP suggests that the web page's <meta description> is to contain some sort of the product's review data.

The image of Google's console, SERP Snippet tab, suggests all data has been manually entered (but, really, I have no knowledge of this console and cannot conclude this 100%).

We can use the Smarty code found in the template element.product.review_score.php template modified to fit the constraints of statements in the <head> section of the HTML document found in the template element.meta.php.

<meta name="description" content="{if isset($META_DESCRIPTION)}{$META_DESCRIPTION}{/if} {if $SECTION_NAME eq 'product'}{for $i = 1; $i <= 5; $i++}{if $PRODUCT.review_score gte $i}&starf;{elseif $PRODUCT.review_score gt ($i - 1) && $PRODUCT.review_score lt $i}&#11240;{else}&star;{/if}{/for}{/if}">

We first make sure that a View Product page is showing. Then we use the logic to show full stars or empty stars, or a half-star for the product's review average rating.

It would be impractical to specify generic images in the <head> section (even though a product thumbnail image is specified for FBOG). So, we use HTML Entities. See:

https://www.htmlsymbols.xyz/star-symbols

There is a means to use a HEX code for the half-star, but having the browser render that character will likely fail as there is no entity name for a half-star. Nor are there any full/open pairs of other common characters with an entity name that also has a half-full variant.

There might be (or was) an extension to collect testimonials concerning a store, but otherwise, each product can have multiple reviews, each with its own rating.

Which actual review content is to be shown?

Edited by bsmither

8 minutes ago, bsmither said:

The wording of the OP suggests that the web page's <meta description> is to contain some sort of the product's review data.

The image of Google's console, SERP Snippet tab, suggests all data has been manually entered (but, really, I have no knowledge of this console and cannot conclude this 100%).

We can use the Smarty code found in the template element.product.review_score.php template modified to fit the constraints of statements in the <head> section of the HTML document found in the template element.meta.php.

<meta name="description" content="{if isset($META_DESCRIPTION)}{$META_DESCRIPTION}{/if} {if $SECTION_NAME eq 'product'}{for $i = 1; $i <= 5; $i++}{if $PRODUCT.review_score gte $i}&starf;{elseif $PRODUCT.review_score gt ($i - 1) && $PRODUCT.review_score lt $i}&#11240;{else}&star;{/if}{/for}{/if}">

We first make sure that a View Product page is showing. Then we use the logic to show full stars or empty stars, or a half-star for the product's review average rating.

It would be impractical to specify generic images in the <head> section (even though a product thumbnail image is specified for FBOG). So, we use HTML Entities. See:

https://www.htmlsymbols.xyz/star-symbols

There is a means to use a HEX code for the half-star, but the having the browser render that character will likely fail.

There might be (or was) an extension to collect testimonials concerning a store, but otherwise, each product can have multiple reviews, each with its own rating.

Which actual review content is to be shown?

Is it that crude or do search engines take into account microdata? I'd hope the latter.

I would say, logically, a web page scraper would want to use microdata, falling back to <meta> tags, falling back to <hx> tags, possibly having all of that overridden by some sort of user-provided site map file or (very onerous) manual data entry at the search engine's management console.

• 11 months later...

I see this topic was raised last year and I have a follow up regarding Rich Snippets in general.

I've attached a google search for one of my products that has reviews and the only snippet shown is the price. Rival sites get reviews, 'in stock' and some bespoke snippets, is there a way of allowing google to see this for me? Alot of my stocks levels are not set, using the unlimited instead. Also how could I go about creating some bespoke rich snippets?

I'm not a designer, so not too much tecnical speak please 😀

24mm-synthetic-hemp-rope-Google-Search snippets.png