Issue Refund = Update Order Status?

TDLWebs

Hi,

Can you tell me if the order status is automagically updated when a refund is issued via Paypal?

I have a client who claims that it did on an older version, but since the upgrade it has stopped working.

Any help muchly appreciated.

T

The code suggests that CubeCart will send an email informing the customer that the order was "cancelled", the databased order summary gets updated to show that the order is now in a "cancelled" state, an entry is logged in the general order history log, and an entry is logged in the general order transaction log. CubeCart will also restore stock levels.

This assumes that the payment agency (e.g., PayPal) has the necessary info of where and what to send to the store.

I do not know how, if at all possible, if, when cancelling an order in CubeCart's admin, CubeCart uses the PayPal gateway to inform PayPal to initiate a refund. Nor do I know if, when initiating a refund action at the merchant's PayPal account control panel, if PayPal has, or even asks for, the needed info to "call" the store to instruct the store to effect a "PAYMENT.CAPTURE.REFUNDED" action.

Ok, thanks for your expertise bsmither.

I'm looking at the second scenario: i.e. the refund is initiated at the PayPal account control panel.

From your answer it appears that my client is mistaken in his belief that the order status in the CubeCart admin should be automatically updated.

T

It did used to in earlier versions ... That is if you refunded the whole payment from within Paypal it would update the order status in CC to cancelled, now you have to manually do it, which in itself isn't too bad a thing as it enables us to put a note in the notes section as to why it was cancelled (normally duplicated orders on most of ours).

Archived