Stuck upgrade

Robin Somes

Site: piscesconservation.com/cube
CC 6.4.4 / PayPal Commerce 1.7.2

I currently have a non-functioning shop site, having tried to update from CC 6.4.4 to 6.4.7 this morning (yes, I did take a full backup first :) )

When I kicked off the upgrade process, it swiftly failed, giving the error message "PHP 5.6.40 detected. CubeCart requires PHP 7.1 or higher." Trying to reach both the admin page and the shop site gave the same error.

The site has run comfortably on PHP 5.6.40 for years, but I fully appreciate the wisdom of running a more recent version. I've now got our ISP to switch to PHP v. 7.1. Since then, both the shop site and admin pages are still unobtainable, but the error message has changed to "HTTP 500 ERROR".

If someone could point out how to resume the upgrade, and see anything other than an error message, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Robin

1 hour ago, Robin Somes said:

Site: piscesconservation.com/cube
CC 6.4.4 / PayPal Commerce 1.7.2

I currently have a non-functioning shop site, having tried to update from CC 6.4.4 to 6.4.7 this morning (yes, I did take a full backup first :) )

When I kicked off the upgrade process, it swiftly failed, giving the error message "PHP 5.6.40 detected. CubeCart requires PHP 7.1 or higher." Trying to reach both the admin page and the shop site gave the same error.

The site has run comfortably on PHP 5.6.40 for years, but I fully appreciate the wisdom of running a more recent version. I've now got our ISP to switch to PHP v. 7.1. Since then, both the shop site and admin pages are still unobtainable, but the error message has changed to "HTTP 500 ERROR".

If someone could point out how to resume the upgrade, and see anything other than an error message, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Robin

... perhaps it is related to enabling certain PHP modules in the higher version of PHP?

Try to get back to PHP 5.6. Hopefully, you can resume store operations.

If not, please add this statement, as the next-to-last line, to the /includes/global.inc.php file:

$glob['safe_mode'] = true;

This will have CubeCart not load any plugins. Doing this is based on the assumption that perhaps there is an installed plugin that requires the ionCube extension to PHP. That extension may still be a PHP 5.6 version.

Additionally, plugins that use ionCube are coded against a specific version of the ionCube extension. So, even if the installed version of the ionCube extension is for PHP 7.1, the plugin also requires a new 'build' against that specific version of the ionCube extension.

Please determine if there are any plugins by Noodleman or Havenswift that are installed on your site. If so, request updated versions of those plugins for PHP 7.4 (and switch to PHP 7.4 for your site).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bsmither said:

If not, please add this statement, as the next-to-last line, to the /includes/global.inc.php file:

This will have CubeCart not load any plugins. Doing this is based on the assumption that perhaps there is an installed plugin that requires the ionCube extension to PHP. That extension may still be a PHP 5.6 version.

Additionally, plugins that use ionCube are coded against a specific version of the ionCube extension. So, even if the installed version of the ionCube extension is for PHP 7.1, the plugin also requires a new 'build' against that specific version of the ionCube extension.

Please determine if there are any plugins by Noodleman or Havenswift that are installed on your site. If so, request updated versions of those plugins for PHP 7.4 (and switch to PHP 7.4 for your site).

Thanks Brian, I'll try that. I have Noodleman's All In One plugin which, as you suggest, probably requires an updated version.

21 hours ago, bsmither said:

1. I've switched back to PHP 5.6. Nothing has happened, except that the error messages, on both the shop site and admin pages, changed from "HTTP 500 ERROR" back to "PHP 5.6.40 detected. CubeCart requires PHP 7.1 or higher." Not really surprising.

2. I've added the line you suggest to global.inc.php. No change; still not able to see the site, or the admin pages, let alone log in to them. So, the upgrade to CC 6.4.7 appears truly stuck half way.

If I understand correctly, CC 6.4.7 *cannot* be installed on a system running PHP below version 7.1. So my option now is:

A. Staying set on PHP version 5.6.40, restore yesterday's backup, by copying over the whole contents of the backup by FTP, being cognisant of changes in file names (i.e. the folder 'admin' in the backup is 'admin_{RanDOmLEttERs}' on the site, and 'admin.php' in the backup is 'admin_{RANDOMNESS}.php on the site).
B. Deleting or renaming the folder "setup"?
C. When it's restored, log in, make sure things are in order, and check whether updates for Noodleman's ProductAddOns and any other plugins are required for later PHP versions.
D. Get them, and install them.
E. Take another backup just in case.
F. Log out of admin.
G. Switch to PHP v. 7.4.
H. Log back in, take yet another backup.
I. Attempt the upgrade to CC 6.4.7 again.

Would that be correct?

Apart from ProductAddons, the other plugins we have installed are AllInOneShipping / Facebook / PayPal Commerce Platform / PayPal Standard Gateway (disabled) / SagePay - as far as I can tell, all were on the latest available versions.

Edited by Robin Somes
Added info.

For step D, be sure that the updated plugins (that needs the ionCube that works with PHP 7.4) are not enabled. Otherwise, there is still the situation of an ionCube-encoded plugin wanting a later version of ionCube that is not running under PHP 5.6.

Otherwise, the above is the sequence of steps I would suggest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bsmither said:

For step D, be sure that the updated plugins (that needs the ionCube that works with PHP 7.4) are not enabled. Otherwise, there is still the situation of an ionCube-encoded plugin wanting a later version of ionCube that is not running under PHP 5.6.

Otherwise, the above is the sequence of steps I would suggest.

Many thanks for your help. I'm at home now (hence commenting through my other CC forum account), and in any case awaiting confirmation from Noodleman about his plugin's compatibility; I'll have a go when I'm back at work tomorrow.