Which Stock Level Settings to use with products with option(s)

Hi all,

When setting up  items / products with various options, should I use the General Tab 'stock level' setting(s) in partnership with options 'stock levels' settings or just leave that general area blank and unticked & use the options stock level settings alone? 

the reason for this question is, if both used, option stock levels seem to reduce with orders and main general stock levels remain at the initial input.

further to this, when option stock levels reach '0', at odd times customers can still order those out of stock items. 

Thanking you all in advance. Jon

Edited by Jon AEA shop manager

In Store Settings, Stock tab, the setting "Main stock level as matrix stock level summary", when checked, will (should) cause the Add/Edit Product, General tab, "Stock Level" to show the sum total of the stock levels of the various Options Matrix combinations as seen on the Options tab.

(The fact that Stock Level on the General tab is still editable is something for the CubeCart programmers to look into. Whether the edited value sticks at that value, I have yet to discern.)

The methodology for the enforcement of the several approaches to stock level determination and enforcement have irregularly changed over the past dozen versions (or so).

What version of CubeCart are you using?

bssmither, thanks for your help, I am using: 

CubeCart Version
PHP Version (7.3 Recommended)
MySQL Version
5.5.5-10.5.18-MariaDB-log
Image folder size
Calculate
Download folder size
Calculate
Max. Upload filesize
32M
Browser user-agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
Server Software
Apache