How to clone product options?

cqpbert

I want to list a product that would have 6 different options. Each option has the same 8 choices, all 8 choices are the same price and weight addition. As an extra bonus there could be 3 sizes of each. If I were to create all these verbose (as is the only way I have found) That would be a minimum of 48 entries not including the size.

So I am wondering if there is a way to clone or otherwise import/export these options?

For instance lets say what I have is this:

size (choose 1 of 3)

part (choose 1 of 6)

material (choose 1 of 8 )

the order will consist of 1 size with up to 6 parts all having 1 of 8 material types.

The only way I know how to create the listing right now is to create 18 parts in product options( 6 parts in 3 different sizes), then add the material 1 at a time to all 18 parts. 

then add all 144 product options to the product 1 at a time and assign price and weight as I go.

If this is the only way I can do it, just want to be told this is the best we have. I am not sure I can do things like edit any tables or something as direct as that. I can create a spread sheet (where I can at least copy and paste then upload to the store if that is an option.

While we are thinking about this, is there a way to have options show or not based on other options? for instance if somebody chooses powder coat as a finish, then shaw a list of powder colors. Or if instead they choose anodize as a finish, show a list of anodize colors?

I will need to analyze your specific requirements, but do you think one of these options could be split across categories?

For example (I am not saying that size will be one of your actual options):

Category: Widgets

SubCategories: Small, Medium, Large

There was a plugin that offered "sequential selection", but it is no longer available.

specifically here is what I want to do:

I offer a set of panels, there are 6 panels. (imagine all 6 sides of a cube). Each panel is different somehow.

I offer this for 3 different size machines. So on the product page it is easy, I just have a size option and a material option. I offer different material for 2 of the panels.

https://dllpdf.com/doomcube-2-panel-set

Now I want to have an "A LA CARTE" listing, where you can buy just any 1 panel, in any of the 6 or 8 materials, for any of the 3 frame sizes.

so I started by simply adding an option for each side with all the materials. but then I got frustrated typing all the materials in for each side over and over. Hence why I want to know if I can clone an option. Like create one called back, then create another called door but get the options from back.

Then I realized in order to correctly handle the weight and price change I needed to do it 3 times, once for each frame size. Thats when I started thinking about what the options tab was going to look like with 144 options there.

Thats when I decided to ask if I am doing it right.

And I thought to start with a price of 0, then add to it with each panel chosen.

If the item is any one panel (that is, that one panel is the product), then that product has an option of size, and an option of material.

But then, from the first post, it seems you are wanting the product to encompass all six panels as an option.

See if this works for you:

Create a Size option group that has size attributes.

Create a Material option group that has material attributes.

Create a Panel option group that has face attributes (i.e., left, right, back, top, bottom, door)

What else am I missing?

"I got frustrated typing all the materials in for each side over and over."

I don't understand what is happening that is causing this frustration.

Maybe if this next step is the solution you are looking for:

In admin, Product Options, "Option Sets" tab, create a new Set. Call the Set "FaceMat". Save.

Back on that tab, select "FaceMat" from the drop down. You will also see a complete list of all the option attributes segregated by option group. This is a multi-select list - meaning that CTRL-clicking on an item in the list adds it to the chosen selection, selecting as many items in the list as desired.

So, for the "FaceMat" option set, CTRL-click on all faces, and all materials. Save.

Now, in admin, Add/Edit Product, Options tab, select "FaceMat" from the Option Sets dropdown and click Add. Save & Reload.

Manually add the three sizes as New Options.

You could probably have included the three size attributes in the set, which then the set would likely be named "SizeFaceMat".

I lack a good ability to explain myself well. Thank you for working with me.

The intention is for the product to be any number of the available 6 panels.

so that would be 6 options.

Each of those 6 options need to have their own material.

If we leave size off the table for now. I need to create each face as an option, with all the material types available in each face. I tried to figure out how to do it with option sets, but it seemed like it wanted to make all the options have the same group name. But maybe I am doing something wrong there. I will try that again.

OK, here is what is happening with option sets. Likely I am not doing something right.

I created an option set for each face.

then I added attributes to each set from the same set of options, "material type"

Then in the product I add each option set to the product in the options tab

On my product page I get a single option called material type, and the drop down for it has all the types in it six times.

It really seems like the only way to do this is to create an option for each face. I can do that but as I said, it seems like there should be a way to clone an option or better way to fill in the attributes then retyping them for each option. That was my frustration.

The description say this product comes in pairs. Is this two panels having the exact same characteristics? Or can each of the two panels of the pair have unique characteristics (one of the pair is clear and the other of the pair is black)?

I see that there is a list of attributes for the Back face (an option group), a list of attributes for the Door face (another option group), and a list of attributes for the Sides face (another option group), where 'none' is a valid choice (thus satisfying the Required parameter) - indicating that for this a la carte product, those faces are not to be included.

I believe the same can be accomplished by making an option group Face with attributes of Back, Door, and Sides.

For a DOOEQT8M22 (base price $22.00), the customer chooses:
Face: Door
Material: Black Acrylic
Size: 250mm

and adds that to the cart.

For a second DOOEQT8M22 (base price $22.00), the customer chooses:
Face: Sides
Material: ACM Black (+3.00)
Size: 250mm

and adds that to the cart.

So, now there is a customer shopping basket of two panels, each panel having the distinct desired characteristics, and not including a Back panel, in the shopping basket.

Total for the two DOOEQT8M22 items in the shopping basket (each having different options, which CubeCart can detect): $47.00.

Don't let the pairs part fool you. The full set of panels actually comes with 14 panels! It is way overkill for what it is used for, but what do I care? folks buy them and I make them :)

If you are suggesting they can simply choose the face and material, add to cart then choose another and add to the cart that would work. IMHO it is not quite as nice for the customer as being able to pick and choose all at once then add to the cart the entire choice. But I think your way is more managable for me.

I assume the answer to my question is no we can't clone options.

And the answer to if we can have options based on other options is also no?

That works just fine and is easy enough for sure.

Thanks again Bsmither

Last question on this topic. Is there any way to reorder the option groups on the page? I entered my panels first then my frame size. But I would rather have frame size first. The only way I know how to do this is delete all the options and start over on the option tab. Of course with frame size first. Is there a better way?

"no we can't clone options"

Not directly, independently, like one can with cloning a whole product. But by making appropriate sets of options, a set can be applied quickly to  product. The only thing to do after that is to set the price and weight differentials.

"if we can have options based on other options is also no"

That will require a plugin. There was such a plugin available - demonstrated by finding the right part for a car based on Year/Make/Model.

"any way to reorder the option groups"

In admin, Product Options, Option Groups tab, the table of Option Groups has, in it's first column, a black and blue double-headed arrow icon. You can sort the list by a mouse click-drag to place that row before or after any other row. Then Save and have CubeCart clear its internal cache.

"Is there a way to have options show or not based on other options? For instance, if somebody chooses powder coat as a finish, then show a list of powder colors. Or, if instead, they choose anodize as a finish, show a list of anodize colors?"

This is called "sequential selection" or "linear selection". This technique is commonly used to get to the end leaf from choosing a path across a tree of branches.

CubeCart offers a feature whereby selecting among the product's options, an Option Matrix table is created. The problem here is that the customer is only advised that a particular option combo is out of stock after the item's "Add to Basket" button is clicked.

So, from an option group of all the finishes, and from an option group of all possible colors, select all those attributes to add to the matrix, then in the matrix, set to zero stock those where there is no available finish and color combo.

There is a plugin that shows a list from that Option Matrix table. As you guessed, the more options added to the matrix expands that list exponentially. Still, take a look at:

https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/plugins/absolute-matrix-option-prices-price-list-hide-out-of-stock-matrix-options

Edited by bsmither

My option reording I mean is in the options for a product.

SO when I create a product, and add options, lets say I first add the material option. then I add the frame size. last I add the panel choice.

On the product page the option dropdowns will display with material first, the the frame size below it. and finally the panel choice.

My question is how do I get the Frame size to be on the top - first option dropdown? The only way I know is to trash all the options and start adding them again, this time add frame size first.

"any way to reorder the option groups"

In admin, Product Options, Option Groups tab, the table of Option Groups has, in it's first column, a black and blue double-headed arrow icon. You can sort the list by a mouse click-drag to place that row before or after any other row. Then Save and have CubeCart clear its internal cache.

"How do I get the Frame size to be on the top - first option dropdown?"

The Frame Size is an Option Group. So, in admin, Product Options, Option Groups tab, click-drag Frame Size to the top of the list.

Ordering the Option Groups this way should then display the groups in that order.

But my experiments have shown that there is a bug in the code where the order of the groups shown may not be sorted as desired.

Stay tuned.

Please try this:

Bring the file /classes/catalogue.class.php up for editing.

Near line 515, find:

public function displayProductOptions($product_id = null, $selected_options_array = null)

About 20 lines later, find:

ksort($optionArray);

Change to:

/* ksort($optionArray); */

Save and experiment.