Selling Online (legally)

I am currently waiting for the release of the newest version of CubeCart before I get going, but would like some advice from anyone with experience...

I am wanting to sell hand-made crafts (by me) to the public and use Paypal as my gateway...are their any legal actions that I need to take before I can begin selling?

I am a resident of Indiana and have heard that I may need to get a tax ID so that I can charge tax to whomever makes a purchase in the state of indiana.

I just want to make everything right and not have IRS after me.

Everywhere I have looked for information has lead me to zoning, etc...that doesn't help as I am not selling to customers coming in my home.

I want to create the crafts, sell them and then ship 'em...thats it. :P

Any advice would be appreciated.

The very least you should do is register your business probably as a sole proprietorship. You ss# will be your tax id and you will have to file quarterly tax returns. Pay Pal will ask for your ss# in any case when you sign up. You should keep it really simple for now as you have no idea how well your product will do. So spend as little as you can for now and you can always upgrade your company as things begin to take off. You will need your business certificate to open a bank account. At this point you might want to not register as a business but wait to see how things go. You can always register at any time. Pay Pal will use your personal checking account for transactions.

The minimum you should do is register your business as a ficticious name. This just says that you, "insert real name here" are doing business as "insert business name here". Where I live it's only $17 and its good for a couple of years and you are required to do it within 45 days of first doing business. But laws are different everywhere. Just google "ficticious names" and "your city" to find out what you need to do. Thats what I did. In California I know you are required to have a tax ID number(reseller permit) to sell anything.

Bill

Guest twisted

Everywhere I have looked for information has lead me to zoning, etc...that doesn't help as I am not selling to customers coming in my home.

Doesn't matter....if you are running a business out of your home, then zoning can be an issue.

You deliver a product, right? Say you get really successful, you may have Fedex/Ups trucks in and out all day picking up your deliveries.

That can annoy neighbors, and why zoning can affect you.

Pay Pal will ask for your ss# in any case when you sign up.

Is that new?

They never used to, whether you opened a personal or a business/premier account.

Sounds good.

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions on this.

Believe it or not, this is the most responses that I have gotten posting all over the net!

Thanks again and I will just keep waiting on the next release! :w00t:

Guest dudestore

They never used to, whether you opened a personal or a business/premier account.

...never asked me... and i signed up fairly recently.

Not at the signup, I believe... but only if you want to use Business Account with Money Marketing (Money Back) or whatever it is. PayPal ask SS# and Driver ID# for verification with bank information. I believe PayPal also ask for photo copy of the Driver ID.