cc3 findings

Guest lee.callender@ntlworld.com

Hi Brooky,

Initial thoughts on CC3 is I really like the admin section, the front end (store) looks okay aswell, but will benefit from a graphical facelift and a little css work.

Do have some issues with the admin though, install is a peice of cake, nice and simple, no problems :D

A little grief with globals On though, sorted with .htaccess file, no major problem.

Playing with the admin section, i ran into a few niggles, like entering some details into the general settings it asked for the chmod to be changed on the includes/global.inc.php file to 777, to enable writing, and then changed back again to 644 afterwards. B)

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems to be a bit of a pain, just to change you name and address details?

The same happens on the gateway files, like entering your Nochex account details, it again asks you to go change the chmod on the modules/gateways/NOCHEX/config.inc.php file again to 777 to enable writing and then back once done to 644 to protect it.

Ermm, is this problem restricted to me, or is anybody else getting these issues?

Brooky, i bet you thought you were going to get a little chillout time after releasing this, :)

This problem is caused by the fact that these details are stored in the config files, not the database like cc2 - so you need to change the permissions to be writable in order to change the settings.

Is this how it's going to be in the final release??

Bit of a pain in the arse if you ask me, having to ftp into the server aswell, just to say change you telephone number?

Yes to be honest this will stay.

Why? Writing to a file is more efficient that querying the MySQL DB over and over again for things that rarely change.

Also if the server is configured correctly php can chmod these files for you. i.e. set it from 0644 to 0777 and back again. In fact it is written to do this.

@chmod('/path/to','0777');

At some point we will sell hosted CubeCarts and set the servers up to do this for you.

Invision powerboard works in the same way.

ONec the store is setup right there should be little need to change these settings.

In fact it is written to do this.

Soo.... does this mean it should already do this, or that it is a possibility???

:)

Is this how it's going to be in the final release??

Bit of a pain in the arse if you ask me, having to ftp into the server aswell, just to say change you telephone number?

Yes to be honest this will stay.

Why? Writing to a file is more efficient that querying the MySQL DB over and over again for things that rarely change.

Also if the server is configured correctly php can chmod these files for you. i.e. set it from 0644 to 0777 and back again. In fact it is written to do this.

At some point we will sell hosted CubeCarts and set the servers up to do this for you.

Invision powerboard works in the same way.

ONec the store is setup right there should be little need to change these settings.

I agree about the efficiency of having flat files for frequently accessed but rarely changed data.

but, why not use ftp_chmod()? This allows the convenience of accessing through the cart admin.

The user will of course have to supply the ftp username and password at the time but this would then be discarded by the program when finished so as to avoid any security issue.

I agree about the efficiency of having flat files for frequently accessed but rarely changed data.

but, why not use ftp_chmod()? This allows the convenience of accessing through the cart admin.

The user will of course have to supply the ftp username and password at the time but this would then be discarded by the program when finished so as to avoid any security issue.

I also agree that is better but in my opinion having to open another program to change your telephone number might put alot of potential users off!

If everything could be controlled in admin, like sculptex says this would be alot better.

Great!! you'll have dedicated hosting packages, thats alright for new customers who don't already have server space bought and paid for. But what about all the people who are quite happy with the hosting they get from there current host Brooky?

In fact this is not an option as it is only supported with PHP 5. Sorry. 99% of hosts use php 4 still.

oops, sorry, you are correct.

I think ftp_exec() may work though by passing chmod as the command.

• 1 month later...

I have just submitted a mod (cc2 - converters & patches) for cc2 which allows the install to be all managed from the install pages (by use of the ftp_exec() command). (as I type, its not yet been accepted)

users will need to enter the ftp and path details to have the ftp bits done automatically.

its a bit rough around the edges, but could easily be cleaned up and used in cc3!