New Store - Need Advice

:) Hi,

My store is up and running but would love advice on how it looks to others, problems experienced, mods that would be useful, etc.

The site is: http://journeythroughthepages.com.au/store

Please be aware that this is a live store.

I've currently got about 600 items in the store with about three hundred or so to add over the next two weeks, so it is very much in it's early stages.

Please review.

Thanks,

Fi

I like it. I think you should add descriptions of your products which you can do in admin/products/edit it would help not only the visual but aid the buyer to make a more informed choice.

Also you might want to work on your store_logo and optimize it to make it smoother.

Altogether a very nice start.

The default header column in your product listings (after selecting a category) needs to be changed from the default blue to something that better matches the rest of your site. Probably a medium purple. Same with the color of your "Go" Search button.

The search button color can be changed in the admin/style.css file

The header column background is an image... in the images directory (forgot the file name! sorry)

Thanks Roban and Booker, your advice is appreciated.

The descriptions will be added over the next few weeks, I was focussing more on getting the site up and active so that my suppliers could verify that I was actually online and legitimate. But I do understand that there needs to be a lot of info added especially for products new to the market.

The header and search button color changes will be done asap - I have been looking for those for ages, lol, and had hoped someone would supply the answers, thanks a lot.

Anyone else who wants to review the site, your input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fi

I do agree with booker and roban and see you are working on it :cry:

I personally would make the links for 'favorites' and 'account' into either 2 nicely seperated buttons or just simple links. Now it looks like there is a bar that should run all the way across the header and is cut off right at the links...... As I said my personal opinion :) Also do something about the 'go' button after the search field as they are not inline. other than that it looks good.

Mobie

Hello,

I like your design but I have one problem (I don't know if I am the only one) but I have a 19" Monitor and I still have to scroll sideways, I know it isn't a big problem but it personally annoys me :)

Correct me if I am wrong, did you create your logo and then resize it? I only ask because thats what it looks like to me, maybe you could update your logo, make something with the same style. Maybe something along these lines? Image1.gif. (It's just the first thing that came to my head)

Also, on a final note I would re-make the following images to make them fit seemlessly within your design:

tr.gif

tl.gif

blt.gif

brt.gif

Thats my rant over with and I wish you the best of luck with your business :cry:

Kind Regards,

Paul

Thanks to all who have reviewed my site, this is exactly why I requested the review. I have looked at my site on different monitors and get a different view on each.

I will follow advice given and hopefully in the next couple of weeks come up with a clean, functional site.

Thanks again and any more ideas are welcome and no, you are not ranting you will be advising. It's up to me to choose what I wish to do but if I'm not given the choices then I might miss something.

Regards,

Fi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to all who have given recommendations for the site.

I haven't had time to implement them yet and as things are going probably won't for another week at least. I have had a house full of sickies (including me) and a hubby with a broken hand who is waiting for an operation (hopefully soon). Plus I am inundated with stock that needs to be scanned and listed. The joys of a home business, lol.

If anyone else has any recommendations please do so, I will eventually get around to working on them.

Thanks,

Fi