New Site

Guest lrk999

Guest lrk999

I've just published my new site "South Bay Gifts".

http://www.southbaygifts.com/

I finally decided to keep it simple initially.

I eventually need to add shipping charges for orders less than $25.00, and also need to charge 7% tax for orders placed in Georgia, but not in other states. But, every time I make a change, I create a new problem, so will deal with those items in time.

One question to anyone who is selling with Paypal vs Credit Cards. I am offering Paypal only now. Credit card services are confusing and expensive, but probably necessary to get any volume of sales. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can tell me if they have been successful using Paypal, and any advice on getting started with accepting credit cards.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my somewhat elementary questions - the people on this forum are great!

nice store layout

couple of things tho

1.i would change blue title boxes from standard cc colour

2.include ebay store in main site

3.i dont like welcome pages i would scrap that and make store whole site with welcome message in main window.

paypal

i use paypal to accept all my credit cards and never had any problems you can accept and transfer up to £500 a month using free account(see sign up link on bottom of my site) if you need more than that you can upgrade to premier account.

Touch wood i have not had one dodgy purchase or card yet

hope this helps

1.i would change blue title boxes from standard cc colour

2.include ebay store in main site

3.i dont like welcome pages i would scrap that and make store whole site with welcome message in main window.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, you should upgrade your store from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7 :sourcerer:

Also, if you only have english-speaking clientelle, then ditching the language box is always a good idea.

Guest twisted

I agree...definitely get rid of the blue boxes.

I also am not averse to splash pages...however I feel that there so not be too much of a jump [design-wise] between your splash page and your store design[i.e. the look should not change too drastically]

Guest lrk999

Thanks for all of your useful feedback. I will implement your suggestions.

I agree that a start page is not always needed. I decided to use one, mainly so that later on I will have the option to add a link to another store (or 2) with different types of items. I might want to try to sell homemade craft items, and my husband might want me to add a store for him later on. So this provides me a little more flexibility.

Thanks to all who posted your thoughts!

Best Idea is to get rid of the spash page.

Here is my advice.

Delete index.htm (or what ever the first (spash) page is.)

Create a new file index.php

Copy the following code into the file.

<?php

header ('Location: store/index.php');

?>

Now, when you go to yoururl.com it will go to yoururl.com/store

If you change your store to store2, simply change the code in index.php to direct to their instead.