Cubecart 3 Design Completed

Just thought I would show what Cubecart 3 can do.

I've spent 30 minutes this evening having a play with CC3 and have managed to install my existing website design to CC3.

The design can be viewed from **Dead Link removed by twisted**

There are still a few bugs, and I still need to sort through a few things but I am getting there.

As many of you know I am currently offering designs for CC2, but will be offering designs for CC3 also once its offically realised.

Thanks

Edited by twisted

Hey All

Thanks for your comments and support, its much appreciated. CC3 looks very powerful, I am sure we will see some great stores come out of this software.

Will post some more example designs soon, I want to see how far I can take the software!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed the problem to my site (changed host).

I will be getting the new demo link working again soon and will provide the link again.

Thanks

Michael

Guest MrBigBargin

Just tried to check your site out and I get this error:

MySQL Error Occured

1146: Table 'coded_storecc3.CubeCart_sessions' doesn't exist

QUERY = INSERT INTO CubeCart_sessions (`location`, `sessId`, `timeStart`, `timeLast`, `customer_id`) VALUES ('/cc3/index.php?', '4c9d26bbc42e61fa70a5c3f41b93768d', '1116518778', '1116518778', 0)

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twisted

The link to the CC3 design is apparently a dead link.

codeddesigns' main site is based on CC2 ... hence the tables for layout.

Also, just because CC3 is built using css...doesn;t mean it CAN'T be redesigned using tables....especially if you are more comfortable with tables than you are with css.

Guest Lunnmh

twisted why use newer technology and revert it back to tables.

Tables is old news and not practical. your better to learn css and have a more cleaner/faster site which gives you more flexibility on changing the layout.

Guest sheriff_bob

Tables is old news and not practical. your better to learn css and have a more cleaner/faster site which gives you more flexibility on changing the layout.

faster is so relative.. in the broadband age .01 seconds and .10 seconds is not even recognizable.

Guest twisted

So?

Thats what I know, and thats what I like.

It all boils down to personal preference... and I have never had any troubles on changing layouts using just tables.

Sometimes...newer isn;t always better.

Guest Lunnmh

ok if thats what you prefer.....

but i was like that once until i learnt css and relised what i was missing out on and newer is better on this occassion.

Guest sheriff_bob

Okay i agree that setting up CSS values for tables is a good thing. Because it allows me to change stuff on the fly. But using these Divs and floating stuff. If I wanted to I could learn it and maybe I will. But the majority of people have a hard enough time understanding basic html. Let alone Box positioning and things of that nature. It just seems that for a cart that is used mainly by rank amatures that it might be a desire to actually lower the learning curve.

Well a mix is whats needed. As there may be problems with css and old browsers. Not to mention IE, Mozilla and all the others handle css differently, so for the inexperienced amateur who wants to change the layout they may have a few problems.

We as store owners are in the business of selling things and to alienate clients because of the browser they're using is bad for business. That said there has to be a line somewhere and we can't expect to conform to ever browsers own unique standards. But tables sure does bring it closer.

Personally I think css, in moderation is a great for site designers.

My .02 cents

Guest twisted

I agree strongly, ice.

I don't abhor CSS...I use it a lot myslef for things like font formatting, individual cell padding, button formatting etc...i.e., the simple stuff. I do realise its benefits, but to use it for some of the more complex operations, like box positioning, is just, basically, beyond me.

i don;t really have the desire, and certainly not the time, to learn the more complex ways off using css.

As I said, tables work for me..so i'll stick with them.......at least for now.

Guest Lunnmh

But as store owners surely you want your website to be acessible by all.

Building in tables is not making it accessible to all, also tables slow the website down so someone on 56k could leave before the make a purchase as the site is going too slow.

Css is not complicated and doesnt take too long to understand, yes there is a learning curve but the overall benefit is far greater.

Also when you say some browsers have issues with css, that is correct as IE in general displays things incorrectly, but there are easy ways to fix them and a simple search on google can help find the answer. have you tested all the table websites in all browsers, you may find they don't display properly.

Search engines - css can help your search engine position because SE like google can read the content easier and can navigate through the pages. Plus i can see it won't be long until google starts to rank websites built to correct standards higher than websites built in tables.

There are soo many benefits and I like many have never seen the point, but once you take the step to learn css/XHTML you will relise everything that you were missing out on.

Guest twisted

Building in tables is not making it accessible to all, also tables slow the website down so someone on 56k could leave before the make a purchase as the site is going too slow.

I don't know any circumstance where having a table would make the page inaccessible to someone....perhaps you could enlighten me on that point.

Tables are only slow if they are built incorrectly. i.e. nested, like if you have a table within a table within a table within a table within a table. Nothing will be displayed until the content of ALL tables has been loaded, and yes, that is sometimes slow, but if you have, a table, then another table, then another table, then another table, each table will display as its content is loaded. This is much faster, and usually, the tables will display as the preson scrolls down the page.

Guest Lunnmh

Twisted Tables were never designed for complex layouts, they are for displaying data.

There is millions and millions of topics covering why you should move to css from tables and once you learn it you can understand fully why.

Top seven reasons to avoid tables:

1- If you're using tables then you're mixing presentation with content, so your bandwidth usage is higher than need be, as for every page your visitors view, they have to download the same presentational data.

2- Redesigns are a lot harder than they need to be. Since tables can only be laid out on screen one way, if you want to change the layout of a table site, you have to change your tables in every single one of your pages. Not a nice job. With a full CSS site, all you need do is change that one CSS file.

3 - Tables really don't help accessibility for viewers with disablities. Although your layout may look logical displayed on screen, the order in which it will be read by, say, screen reading software, may be very different. Many countries now have their own laws stating that websites must be accessible to all.

4 - Likewise, people visiting your site using PDAs, mobile phones, and the like do not have the screen space that your big flashy table layout demands. A well written CSS site will generally scale far better to smaller and larger screens than a comparable table layout will.

5 - Tables are just plain complicated to look at in HTML. Before you even get to any content inside them you're at three levels of indentation.

6 - Tables can hurt search engine ratings. If you're using a "classic" left hand navigation table, your navigation will be placed before your content in your HTML file. Because Search Engines generally place more importance on the things nearer the beginning of a page, the chances are your content will be largely ignored.

7 - Tables can take longer to display correctly than CSS. If you use Internet Explorer, you'll have seen this many times when loading tabled sites. While everything on the page is downloading, the IE will keep rerendering, bouncing the contents of the page back and forth until the download is complete and it knows where to place everything..

• 4 weeks later...
Guest topjones

Good thread. I think we may be a bit over the top as far as comparing CSS to tables goes - because they would/should generally be used to complement each other.

I found a good post that says what I wanted to point out - so I'll save the typing :

"I want to underline one thing with regards to this question - CSS and tables are not two different mechanisms to lay out pages. These two standards work hand-in-hand to to allow us to create easy to maintain, reusable patterns. The separation between them is simple ..."

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=12439

I wouldn't try to argue the case for using either one on a strict basis - I use alot of both, and never have I built a site without using both.