Email and cpanel

Guest kilobit

Guest kilobit

I have setup vb boards phpbb boards, and never had any email problems, however im on a reseller account through cpanel, which might be why my email is not working.

I am a little confised on the settings within the general tab on cubecart.

my site is www.headheadshop.com and i have all of the email recieved from that domain forwarded to my personal email. I have searched the forums and just dont understand this. I do know email() is via php, however smtp does not allow a password?

I have tried many configurations and none are working. Could someone point me in the right direction with all of this?

Thanks alot

-Tommy

Email Name:Staff

(This is used as the send name of site emails.)

Email Address:[email protected]

(This is used as the email address in site emails.)

Mail Sending Method: mail()

(mail recommended) :D

Guest kilobit

No i run my own mailserver on a winbox (MDaemon), but i have tried it with yahoo emails and still nothing happens. Can someone explain to me what it actually does. If i enter [email protected] then is it going to send it smtp to the headheadshop.com mail server?, or is it sending it some other way?

And the mail() function i just dont understand. All my servers require a password for all smtp, but i dont know how mail() works.

ty

-TOMMY

I am going to try + sort this mess for you, so I will try to answer some things with this post + then you can just keep throwing your questions at me until hopefully we are sorted. - OK?

Good.

Now, first things:

POP3: Incoming Mail (Post-Office Protocol 3). - Two versions. - POP2 requires SMTP to send messages, POP3 doesn't.

SMTP: Outgoing Mail (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)

I believe that the mail() option is a generic format that allows emails/input from forms/etc. created within CubeCart, or installed by yourself, to be sent as background tasks. The SMTP alternative would be for any emails sent from CubeCart to be sent like conventional emails . Put simply, SMTP is an option if mail() isn't working for some reason or can't work due to hosting restrictions, but is likely to be visible to the customer/visiter to your site + won't be as secure.

The SMTP situation is complex, but sending email through your ISP's or host's mail server does not always require passwords. - Some only require a password when you go to collect your email, whilst others will require a password every time you collect your mail + again when you send mail + this password session may close immediately or it may time out over several minutes or more.

Are you Goodell Enterprises then (ie: the listed owner) + hosting with zeniors.com? If so, it would be useful to know what your mailservers (mx records) are set as, because it appears that they are currently pointing to ThePlanet.Com Internet Services in Dallas. - If you are no longer using these critters as your host (or for your email) then you need to update your DNS records because that is where your email is currently being sent to.

Anyway, I'm ready when you are for more questions + my apologies if you don't like me looking at your setup in the above depth. Natural inclination :huh:, slap me if you like :( (females only, please).

Guest kilobit

Sin42UnI, you have been loads of help!!! Thanks.

I dont care that you looked up the info (its public anyway :huh:) It didnt even occur to me that the planet was getting the mx records. I bought the domain through those people and now i just point the nameservers to zeniors and i can set the rest up via cpanel. It kind of odd that since zeniors is the nameserver why the mx record is still pointing to the planet. I will check that out and post a followup on it.

Thanks again

-Tommy

p.s. I am setting up this site for a friend of mine.

Guest kilobit

Well, according to dnsreport the mail is going to my mailserver. I can send and recieve emails on that account. Just cant figure out why cubecart still has no mail. Since my webhost is zeniors and they are the authoratative nameserver for my domain and my email IS working, that would only leave either the cubcart script, or my host is not letting cubecart send any email via zeniors.

Does this make any sense? This is probably something so simple... cant figure it out though.

I cannot see Zeniors not allowing CubeCart to send email because it would just be a case of sender ab sending mail to Zeniors mail server using protocol cd just as would be the case whenever you send mail. - It is also unlikely that there are restrictions on Java or PHP. So, there is the DNS:

Mailserver: http://mail.42l.com/ or 208.62.179.190 (BellSouth.Net Inc). - OK, you are not using mail.headheadshop.com + that mail address is pointing at 208.62.179.190 so everything looks good here.

Have you tried logging into Admin in your CubeCart setup + going to the sidebar entry Customers -> Email Customers + sending a test email to yourself? - Just go for a blank email, blank subject or use words "Test Email" or similar, then select the "Test Email Recipient" radio button + ensure that the correct email address is showing in the box besides the radio buttons. If this works correctly you should see the following message on the next page:

Recipient: [email protected]

Also, might seem a bit obvious, but have you checked to see that you have the relevant mailbox setup for the address you are using :whistle:?

I have tested both mail() + SMTP on my setup + both worked just fine, but mail() seems to send multiple emails for some reason I am not sure about (yet :w00t: ).

Don't forget that if you set something in Store Config -> General Settings you will need to confirm it with the "Update Settings" button at the bottom of the page :).

Guest kilobit

Omg i fixed the problem (kinof :whistle: )

Ok, now while i explain the problem it might not make any sense, so just ask me and i will tell you.

My main domain is 42L.com. It and all but one (mythosashard.com) are hosted using cpanel. The nameservers at zeniors think that mail.42l.com is a subdomain of 42l.com on their nameservers. I have emailed them but im not the best at explaining things so i dont know where thats going. I dont think they allow the use of external email servers.

Well when i sent an email using cubecart it got hung up on their namerservers because there is not a mail.42l.com mailserver there, so it went to my defualt mail account. Well to fix this (temporaily) i forwarded all my headheadshop.com email to mythosashard.com since mythosashard is not a domain on their nameservers. When it reaches mythosashard it forward all email to mail.42l.com (my real email server) using an external nameserver. I am getting all the emails now. I know that this is bass-ackwards gerry rigged to hell, but it works for now.

Now for any moderators or developers, here is some info. It would be nice if i could use a external email function within cubecart. Then i would have to do all of this. I am sure more people will have this problem in the future as well. Phpbb has a nice email function and its open source. It would be neat to copy that.

I hope this helps others with the same dillemma. Thank you for your support everyone!

-Tommy

Right, first things first.

Under the Mail icon in, or just somewhere within, cPanel you will probably have "Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)." If you have this feature you should be able to enter 42l.com in place of headheadshop.com + all should be fine + dandy after about 24-72 hours.

Looking at the DNS of 42l.com it looks like this is a private domain name (yours?). If so, another option is to register the domain name with Zeniors under the same account as you have headheadshop.com, effectively allowing you to have mail.headheadshop.com + mail.42l.com both accessible from within the same account.

- By default cPanel will only allow as many mail servers as it will allow domains (or which it has been setup to allow). Therefore, if your account will only allow 1 domain name to be registered with it you can only have 1 mail server on your account + will need to change that mailserver (as detailed above) if you want to use a mail server for a domain name or mail service other than that that you set the account up with. So, in your case, you either need to change your mailserver details or else you need to register another domain name on your Zeniors account. I looked up Zeniors FAQ pages -> "Addon Domains" + found a blank popup (very helpful :on2long:) so I guess you are going to have to email them if you don't just want to update your mailserver settings + want to register an additional domain name.

Finally, to answer your question about an external email function, that is simple. - Just use a program like NoviceForm or Biz Mail Form. - Both of these are free to use (for non-commercial use :)), do integrate with CubeCart, have a good secure reputation (ie: they won't end-up getting used by spammers sending their c**p through your mailserver unless you seriously screw the settings up somewhere ;)), + they can both be found at or through http://www.noviceform.com/ ;).

Guest kilobit

You are exactly right! But i had to email them and they actually called me on the phone. After i explained it he fixed the problem. I am glad there are people like you that help others, because youve been a great help. I will check out noviceform right now.

Einstein was right :on2long:

Glad I could help. - Going to have to get that darn PPPay gateway (different post) sorted now, I guess, seeing as I said I would :on2long:.

Heck, it's like being back at school sometimes ;)...