toys4mobiles.com

Guest toys4mobiles.com

Guest toys4mobiles.com

Please can you have a look at my site and suggest any improvements which you think I can make.

www.toys4mobiles.com

Please note I will be uploading new pictures for the SIM cards in the next few days.

Thanks,

Jeff

I get flamed elsewhere when I offer the following comments but I'm trusting there are more sincere people here.

It's reasonable to assume that most web site and ecommerce store designers are running their own displays at high-resolution. And that's the source of a problem for the ordinary world of site users - where 800 by 600 is the standard. Expecting users to change their display res is unrealistic.

Other than that, it's a nice basic web site.

Guest toys4mobiles.com

Thanks for your comments about the site, I will be sticking to 1024 x 768 as recent monitor resolution statistics show the following:

1024 x 768 56.01%

800 x 600 29.35%

1280 x 1024 8.57%

1152 x 864 3.11%

Unknown 1.71%

640 x 480 0.72%

1600 x 1200 0.52%

Within a year the standard will be 1024 x 768 for home pcs (this is of course ignoring the new internet mobile phones coming!)

Anyway back to the site... has anyone else got any comments or critisms?

(other than more products, which will be added in due course)

Guest emailanj

This is a female shopper perspective ....No technicals:

THINGS I LIKE :errm:

I like your logo, it is unique, simple and states what you do.

Your forum page looks great!! colors are good and organized. Very easy on the eyes. At a glance I could tell what it was all about. Your pages loads fast. (I have dial up) It looks like you are going to have some pretty cool stuff when you are through. I am going to have to find out more info on that sim free phone...Or let me know if you plan to describe it more on your site. I was unfortunate enough to have a defective sim card so I do know what one is but I would like to know what the benefit of having a sim free phone would be? It there another part that replaces the sim? Just curious...

MY OPINION: ;)

Most of your site is blah busy. It feels disorganized. I could see no focal point. the colors do not blend nor do they stand out with contrast. Your logo looks forced and not a part of your site. There are too many bold words in your heading not just a couple that get your attention.

Too Many sim cards on the home page. The light blue back ground may be a little much. And...Just one more thing...You may want to consider putting the forum on the bottom or order your links with importance in mind. Do you want people to shop or to post?

I hope this helps and doesn't make you mad. Just an honest opinion please take it as such. You have done a great job and from what you said about screen resolution you have really done your homework.

Anj

I think the site would look better if it were centered on the screen (for those with larger screen resolutions). The footer is already centered, but the rest of the site is left aligned. In the forums page, your forum is centered, but your header is left aligned.

Thanks for your comments about the site, I will be sticking to 1024 x 768 as recent monitor resolution statistics show the following:

What is your source for those stats? In looking at monitors in the schools where I teach and business offices that I visit, I don't see those stats.

But I'm open to learn.

Sources, please?

Guest graphixw

I found the same statistics HERE.

I am having the same problem with the resolution but your site looks good on 1024x768 BUT 800x600 (too big & not aligned). I honestly think they should get rid of the standard 800x600 (which is for the blind) :P

Other than that, maybe you can incorporate some personal touches to the site like changing some of the colors or different colored tables....get crazy! :errm: ;)

Guest Earth Bizz

Why be inflexible and set things just for 1024? .. Its easy enough to make the site viewable in ALL resolutions. ... Those 29% 800x600 people might have more money to spend at your site cos they didn't blow it all on a new whiz bang monitor.

Make sure the centre boxes are set to 100% .. the same with tables in the header and use a table in the welcome box so the text doesn't stretch right across the screen ... and you will find that the cart will automatically stretch to any size screen.

I.ve done it in my CC2 Test site below .. try in both resolutions.

:errm:

I wouldn't assume too much about 800x600 users al upgrading within a year.

there was a poll/thread already discussing this here

If your market is computer literate/techy power users, most will have a high res, so carry on. Some people like (my mum) would, given a bigger monitor, just keep it at 800x600 and have everything BIGGER! Schools etc. are very slow to upgrade as they rarely justify a mere increase in resolution/quality of their monitors in their budget compared to NEW equipment and just upgrade everything else.

Other than that, site still looks a bit generic at the moment but put a nice new skin on it and it has promise.

Guest toys4mobiles.com

Thanks everyone for some great feedback. I'll take all your opinions away a modify the site a bit more to make it unique, but simple to use. Once i've made the changes i'll see what you all think again!

I may decide to go down the 100% width route so no one with low resolutions miss out.

A lot of your feedback reiterated some points I wasn't 100% happy with anyway.

Also, when you are concentrating so much on the website design you can sometimes loose sight of your original goals!

Also to answer a question from emailanj... a SIM free phone is simply a phone without a SIM card and is not locked to a specific network.

For example a lot of contract phones are locked to the providers network.

look at it this way if im at work my res is 800x600 if i have 2 scroll left to right i shut down page.

now imagine (going on stats )100 peeps come to ur store 30 have 800x600 and click off like i would you just lost 30 paying customers thru not going down 100% route??? seems daft to me

Guest toys4mobiles.com

Hello Guy's, I've changed my website a bit. So it is viewable at 800x600 and above resolutions.

Please let me know what you think!

Guest Earth Bizz

sorry m8 but your site is oogly

no cohesive theme and its too wide

I was just commenting on mobiles display .. but yeah .. the design needs a little work .. but thats another problem .. still working on MY site in that regard too .. first things first. ( Maybe use a bit of html and images in the homepage box to snazz it up a bit .. and fix the header background to match your logo)

I don't think it's too wide .. checked it out in 1024 and 800 .. looks ok (I think kinectic was refering to the column/box widths) each to his own. Looks OK to me ... What do others think .. column width wise?

;)

Guest twisted

Well........this is wierd.

I assume this is what you're site is meant to look like when viewd normally.

normal.jpg

But, as I drag the screen wider, here's what happens:

skewed.jpg

As I drag the edge of the screen wider and wider, it jumps back and forth between these 2 views.

Other than that, I agree with an earlier post. The site is too generic.

Customise your graphics....maker the site your own. Make it sing! ;)

Guest toys4mobiles.com

I've noticed the above aswell, only in IE! Firefox and Netscape don't do it?!

It's only happens when the pixel width of the open window is dragged to an odd amount. An even number of pixels and it's fine! Must be a IE bug? I'll have a look around the internet to see if this is true.

I've just got back from holiday so i'll update the site over the next few days!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest twisted

Your font size is too big for the "GO" button...it doesn't fit neatly inside the button.

I, personally, think your center section is too narrow...everything looks squished up.

Guest toys4mobiles.com

OK i'll work on the centre section and GO button... I'm also thinking of changing the top logo area as this does not seem to look that good....

I do want to keep a simple design however... I think simple designs look better personally.

I'll work on these at the weekend... also 3.0.2 will be available by then! :P

Guest toys4mobiles.com

OK, my website has been updated. What does everyone think now?

Good, Bad?

Any critism... as long as it's constructive would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I like it to the point of wishing I had a copy of the skin. All in all, it's excellent. And, there are many here who have heard me say many things about sites offered for comment, but never that.

If and when you want to share the skin, please let me know? I promise I'd change it sufficiently in colors and graphics so that it would not be a copy - and I'd not use it for any similar products.

I especially like the menu in the upper right corner. As for the three dead clickables, I agree and suggest that they become your 4 site docs - About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions .

Of course, since there are only 6 available slots in the upper right menu, that would mean either giving up one of the other three or not including one of the new four, or having 7 slots.

For myself, I'd not add a seventh because that would make the banner too high. So my option, were it mine to do, would be to remove "Home" since it is already logically at the top of the left side "Shop By Category" menu where convention says it should be. And I'd remove eBay from that left side menu because it gets plenty of attention in the upper right corner. That would give you six slots. And a damned fine layout.

Congratulations on a site that is all about selling the product and not about flaunting excessive and irrelevant design skills. The great architect Mies Van de Rohe said it best, "Less is more."

One small suggestion.

I run my monitor at 800 by 600 - and I really like how well your layout behaves at that res. But the left side has what seems to be only a 5 pixel buffer and that puts things a bit too close to the edge of the display.

There is a white space along the right side and I'm guessing it is about 40+ pixels.

So if you were to put a 15 pixel buffer along the entire left side that would improve things.