Basics on Building Templates?

Guest bijimmini

Guest bijimmini

I am new to PHP and still working on my first v2 website. I am very interested in learning how to build v3 templates.

I use a WYSIWYG HTML editor (usually Namo, but I do have Frontpage, My DW PHP module doesn't work). But I am a graphic designer timidly stepping into the interactive Web Developer arena. I want to learn how to configure an original HTML Web Page to be CubeCart Ready. I have downloaded the STS osC to experiment with its templated system, but I discovered v3 before taking that leap.

What files and lines of script need to be modified or added to make a standard or DHTML page work with CubeCart? If someone could point me in the right direction on that, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what you're asking is akin to saying, "Ok, I'm great with landscaping and painting already. I just got this new hammer and saw. I've cut up a couple boards and nailed them together so I think I'm ready. Now how do I build a house."

There is SO much more to being good building a custom skin or template for an app like CC3. You HAVE to know CSS & HTML and a decent knowledge of PHP sure wouldn't hurt. There are no step-by-step instructions out there yet. I had to figure it out by opening several files and reading their contents then comparing them to other files and cross-referencing the classes and definitions, etc. Then you can start playing with the little things and seeing how they affect the layout and design. Once you have a good handle on that, you can fairly easily start changing things around to meet your needs.

I hope this helps, but remember, you're far less likely to choke on little bites than big ones.