Google Ranking

It might be silly question, but I have just dowloaded and in the process of setting up the new shop, however I have been looking at loads of live shops, but I have not seen one yet that any Google ranking.

Are all these new or is there any examples where shops are seen with a google ranking on the Google tool bar?

• 2 weeks later...

rank 4 represent _ www.gamma.co.nz

Roban any idea what it takes to get beyond 4? From what I've read in the past it's all about who links to your website and how significant their website is, so a bit out of personal hands huh.

backlinks are terribly important as is the relevency of the site that links to you. Try to get pages that link to you that have a PR 5 or higher. Page content is another very important tool and how your keywords are included in that content. It's also a good idea to change your content on a regular basis. Googlebots love text (that's all they read) so make sure all of your images have 'alt' tags as well.

Another good trick is to write articles on your chosen subject and submit them to sites relevent to yours. Make sure you include your site's url. Submit your site to directories...lot's of them. Make a Google site map and submit it. I have been making them for other's sites and it is very eefective.

While there is no guarantee of success these things can help.

Here are a list of things I've come across during my research.

1) Use something like http://www.wordtracker.com/ to work out the most popular searches relevant to what you are selling. Try using keywords that are popular but have low search results.

2) Try and get say 100 keywords. Now optimise your website pages using those keywords. Page titles are highly rated. So for each page/product in your cube cart use those keywords whereever possible without abusing it. Use it in page titles, description, keywords, and also try and use it in your page contents too. But like I said don't abuse them, you still want your page title, description and page contents to read well for your customers. The trick is to sprinkle these keywords without making it look like you have gone out of your way to use them ;) You may decide to try and optimize a particular page of your website with 4 out of 100 keywords etc. Remember you have plenty of pages to use up all the keywords you thought up.... so take it easy.

3) As well as submitting to search engines, submit to indexes and directories that are appropriate to your cube cart products. This is a good way of getting external links to your cart.

4) Link exchanges are good, maybe partner up with another cube carter and have exchange banners to each other's complimenting site.

5) Try and get your page contents higher up in the page. Site layouting is important for this. Try and avoid having lots of info boxes on the left hand side of your cart, try if possible to design your skin with most of the info boxes on the right hand side so all your main contents (i.e the product description) slide up the page. Remember search engines rank contents higher up the page as more important.

Thats all, I can think of atm from memory.

remember google is not the RULER of them all..... i know many people who use MSN, YAHOO, dogpile etc

When 90% + hits from search engines are coming from google, I'd say that they are pretty much the ruler of them all.

Yahoo seems to have been out of the game for quite a while now and MSN is just starting to get into the game, so we'll see how they go in the following months/years.

Google is top dog we all know that as much as we may not like it but msn is improving fast and the good news is msn ;) cubecart even with sess. id's try it for yourself using a prog like ibp and check ur keywords on msn.

I spent many hours installing little hacks to optimise my sites and the results are promising.

Google, Yahoo, MSN, All power the other engins.. MSN was powered by google up untill not to long ago I think a year ago anyways Hit them 3 and you hit about 90% of them.. another trick and works very well ( my site still shows up in the top 10 ) is pay per click.. now for that trick to work set you pay out High and use as many keywords as you can that work with your site.. only run the pay per click for 10 - 20 days.. and your site will then link to 100's of sites.. ( I set my pay per click to 1.00 per click for 20 days, only had to payout 40 buck BUT I am still linked too 100's of site and I am not doing pay per click anymore.. ) its good way to kick off your new website.. AND IT WORKS..