what are the PayPal choices?

jerseyjoe

The CubeCart ACP allwos you to configure three different PayPal services but I am now aware of any doc that explains how to choose.

The problem is made almost opaue by not using the same terminology as PayPal.

The CC choices are

"PayPal Direct Payment"

"PayPal Express Checkout"

"PayPal Standard and IPN"

But when ypou go to PayPal's web site to dec ide which is best for the particular store, you find that the types of accounts are:

PayPal Website Payments Standard

PayPal Website Payments Pro (USA only) -

PayPal Email Payments

PayPal as an Additional Payment Option

(and BTW - they apparently will start charging for the second item on their list in about 3 weeks.)

So which CC version maps to which PP version?

Guest Denver Dave

Good question - no wonder I didn't recognize some of the choices. This thread may give some info although I did not identify with Standard Paypal vs Express:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=11591

In my way of thinking we just send the customer to Paypal and they figureout how they want to pay and all we know is we receive the money.

Guest sunshine

Hi JerseyJoe,

PayPal Direct Payment (aka merchant account with paypal)

PayPal Express Checkout (paypal business account needed US only for now)

PayPal Standard and IPN = the firstborn paypal method (long checkout process)

Of the 3 options, paypal express fall in the middle. Customer does not have to register w/payplal to pay you. Paypal payment pages can be customized with your logo, cheaper and I say just as quick a checkout as pro.

sunshine, with standard PayPal w/IPN, you do not have to have a PayPal account. You can simply pay with a credit card and go on.

The first two, Direct and Express, require the use of the PayPal API. Not all servers are setup to handle this. Plus they're only available to US businesses at the moment.

;)

Guest sunshine

Hi Sir William, lol your right there. It's been a while since I've used the standard method. I still like the business, the rates are lower. Guess paypal is still in their testing mode with the pro; that's more than likely the reason it hasn't gone global.

Right :w00t:

Guest internetpilot

To further Sunshine and Sir William's explanations, the combination of PayPal Direct and PayPal Express IS PayPal "Pro" (officially PayPal Website Payments Pro or "WPP"). PayPal Direct basically allows you to accept credit cards as if you had a much more expensive merchant account. However, if you implement PayPal Direct, the PayPal Business Rules (Terms of Service, etc.) require you to also provide PayPal Express as a payment option AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR CHECKOUT/PAYMENT PROCESS.

That's the important part because in my experience most shopping cart apps inherently violate the PayPal Business Rules associated with PayPal "Pro" because in order to correctly implement PayPal Direct and Express, you cannot ask the customer for ANY personal information prior to providing them with the PayPal Express payment option. Most carts require a buyer to setup an account, including shipping address, payment methods, etc. PayPal requires this in their Business Rules so that their customers will not have to input their personal information all over the internet when they can just simply click on the PayPal Express button and securely sign in to their PayPal account to pay.

I think it's an excellent program and commend PayPal for offering it, even though it is currently limited to the USA. Where else can you basically get a merchant account for $20 per month plus the usual rather low PayPal percentage charges? However, it's really throwing a lot of shopping cart developers for a loop because they have to rewrite their checkout/payment modules to comply with PayPal's requirements, and a lot of the shopping cart users are wanting to implement this payment solution. I'm thankful CubeCart supports it properly. It's one of the few, and the only "free" cart that supports it. There are modules being distributed for other free carts that claim to provide PayPal Pro functionality, but you need to make sure they are compliant with the PayPal Business Rules (by not asking for any customer information prior to displaying the PayPal Express button) or PayPal will shut down your site. They have been very aggressive about this.