Search Engine Inclusion

Guest CaseyC

Got my V3 store on-line and operational, e-mail and PayPal working (thanks guys), but not getting any traffic. Is to be expected as I have not entered my site into any of the search engines as yet. While reading up on the subject, I ran across several "experts" in the field of search engine rankings who voiced the opinion that search engine spiders only evaluate HTML pages. If this is so, would it be advantageous to add a HTML page as the index which in turn would call the index.php page?

Wrong!! My vitamin site had a PR 4 until the latest Jagger release and now I am down 1 notch to PR 3. Spiders follow text and not code. that's why things like 'alt' tags are so important. There are several spider simulators free for the using on the web. Try one and see what they see.

Look here: http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php

It is not entirely true that search engines don't trawl the code. They do trawl the code, but look for specific code, alt tags, name tags, links h1, h2 etc tags etc etc.

CubeCart will be fine with search robots, however there is much much more CubeCart could do to help give search engines what they're looking for.

My advice to get search engine robots to your site.... put the site link on all emails, invoices, documentation, posts in forums, profiles in forums, use Google site maps, Froogle, alt and name tags, well worded links, encourage friends/clients to link to your site, and tell all your customers to tell their friends, use correctly formatted keywords and description and other metatags on your website, and drop a billion business cards over your nearest city */*

Hope this helps :D

• 2 months later...

Just seen this thead during a search and noticed that if i put one of my cube cart stores in the spider ( http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php ) then it doesnt index the product pages.

Ive got the seo mod installed, and this ius obviously going to cause problems.

Any ideas?

Cheers Tim

Is there a link to your store to have a look?

The page you put into this simulator is the page that is tested. No other pages are crawled.