Free Digital Products, and Skipping Payment Module

Guest himerus

Should "Free" products be an added feature of CubeCart?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest himerus

I saw a couple of posts regarding this, however, I didn't find a real solution that matches my need.

I feel like there is a great need for some of us to have free digital products available for download, WITHOUT posting a direct download link that anyone in the world can access...

I have the need to allow some free scripts and screensavers, ebooks, etc. to be downloaded for free, however, they must be side by side in the online store with other paid products...

Here is my situation...

I want someone to be able to come to my store, and download a free script, however, I want them to have to register as a customer, and submit their information, and still be sent a custom expiring link for the product. Of course that user could come back later, and "purchase" this free item again later.

I think this system would work if the user selected both a paid item, and one of the free items, however, when I was testing the system, if ONLY the free item is selected, (which is fine by me), it still prompts them to the payment gateways like they have money owed.

I'm new to CubeCart, yet experienced with PHP/MySQL... if there isn't any type of mod out there that can fit this, I will have to start work on it in my "spare" time!

The cart system should check the total amount at the end of the transaction, and if it is $0.00, AND there are products in the cart, it should continue on, and SKIP the payment module, and proceed with delivery of the products...

Thanks for any advice and info on this topic, and how to go about getting it situated.

Guest himerus

Thanks for the info... It kind of sounded like from some of the other posts that it may be included in the future as many members mentioned the function, and that it would be used by many....

My definite needs are that the user can only "buy" this free item, and that it would require them setting up an account, and every other step minus payment.... then it would just skip to a transaction complete, and generate the email with download link....

You've got a great product here, and I look forward to working more with it, and I'm currently pushing it as the only option for my web development customers that are looking for an online store solution.

Thanks again!!!

I use this at my Cubecart MOD site:

IF products price is 0 and is digital, buy button dissapears. ADD TO BASKET button is replaced with DOWNLOAD button. I use modified download.php file, entire download is running as 'buy download'.

By adding new FREE digital product to store in ACP

- automated generation of download key is invoked

- product is added to Download table as they has been purchased (with appropriate field filling assigned to anonymous user)

- 'download countdown' is deactivated for FREE products.

Why force registration for if something is for free.

I don't like that method Convict because then I don't have their info to let them know that when I make an update to the package. And as often as I make changes to my stuff, that's a big deal. Although no countdown on the freebies is a nice idea.

;)

@ Sirr all depends to products offer philosophy. Solution i have defined open the door to make any product as a category contain all released versions as products within afterwards. Updates history, some fixes and new stuff can be included into product or category description.

That was just the one of many examples and my point of view. ;)

• 11 months later...
Guest lowlands

Hi Sir William and Convict,

I am a Cube Cart newbie and I run into you guys all over the Cube Cart forums. I can't stress enough that the work you do is highly appreceated by the likes of me. I realize that this thread is already a year old but it caught my attention because I have not been able to find the right answer to the following problem (although Convict mentions something I don't quite understand in this post Posted Dec 13 2005, 11:10 PM).

I have a shop in which I also promote affilate products. So whenever someone is interested I want them to click a link to the affiliate site/page an not (mistakenly) adding the product to the basket. What I would like to be able to do is just make the 'add to basket' option dissappear when the client needs to click a link in order to open up the affiliate product page in a new browser window. Although I would like to get the clients details I don't want to put too many obstacles in their path to the affiliate page.

Any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Theo

Hi lowlands,

about a year ago the .org forum was created for all 3rd party mods and skins.

Please try and request this in the .org forum if you havent allready :innocent: