This is a bit off topic but I thought i would ask

Guest sgleaton

Guest sgleaton

I would like to migrate some stuff to a Linux platform because I want to get into open source programming. I have attempted to install APACHE, MySQL and PHP on my Windows XP but they seem to not be working properly. I HAVE to use Microsoft Office and a few other programs for my daily work and therefore would like to migrate all of my XP programs to a Linux flavor that would support them. Is there such a flavor out there or is there a better alternative?

Scott Gleaton

Guest shannonlp

I would like to migrate some stuff to a Linux platform because I want to get into open source programming. I have attempted to install APACHE, MySQL and PHP on my Windows XP but they seem to not be working properly. I HAVE to use Microsoft Office and a few other programs for my daily work and therefore would like to migrate all of my XP programs to a Linux flavor that would support them. Is there such a flavor out there or is there a better alternative?

Scott Gleaton

I did it the easy way. I use a mac and use virtual pc for office docs.

Guest fsecchi

I found a newspaper article the other day about Linux and how it is slowly winnng over more customers from microsoft. I did a little reasearch into the options and people mentioned in the article and found a few interesting sites and applications.

I am also considering changing over to Linux, main reason is microsoft but I am aware than may programs I use are not available or not supported by the platform. So far I have succesfully found a Desktop suite for linux which is identical to MS Office, I am also looking at a new OS based on linux. I think I will be changing my current notebook over the linux - exclusively for testing and general feel and at the same time buy a new one to keep running on XP for work. You are probably aware of these two sites but just in case here they are:

Desktop suite - word , excel, publisher, DB and others www.openoffice.org

Operating system Ubuntu - looks like the next big thing in linux and the desktop wars are set to get much more competitive.

I took a different approach because there are too many reasons for me to retain Windows, as much as I wish to shift to Linux. I now have both OSes on the same box - but NOT on the same drive.

When I could see I was was starting to outgrow my 20g HD (I have the same box now for 6 years or so - upgraded incerementally as needed) I installed a new, larger drive - and moved eveything over to it. I then wiped the smaller, original HD.

On that older drive, I installed a Linux distribution (there are many flavors so take your pick). Since Linux ineds a much smaller footprint, the 20g drive is still, three years later, quite roomy.

In the process of installing Linux, I added a simple app that comes up as I boot the machine - it offers me a choice of either the Windows HD or the Linux. If I don't answer in 15 seconds, it opens whichever OS I have set as the default.

From the Linux HD I can read all the Win directories and open many of its files. There are progs that I could install that would make most Win apps run under Linux but I have not tried them.

Good luck!

Guest clearlygifts

I am not sure, but I think your looking for sokkit.. (it's the old phpTriad renamed)

I use it to program on windows and run scripts on linux or unix.. I will install apache, mysql and phpmyadmin, it also have modules you can add on for a email server..

It's manily used for development.. or atleast that's what I use if for..

Here is the link.. http://www.sokkit.net

Good Luck

David

Hey, sgleaton

I like your name, is there a chance your last name is Eaton and your good at SQL hence the name sqleaton ?

because it simular to my name..

Thanks,

David Eaton

Guys, if all you want is LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), it'll run easily on a PC with next to no horsepower. I still have a development box that's running on a PII 233 with 256MB RAM and a 20GB HD. I can do TONS of stuff with it no problem. Just grab a copy of Fedora or any other flavor you like. The nice thing is that you can plug it in anywhere in your home/office and just feed it ethernet. You're not gonna use a GUI on it or anything fancy like that, but I'm old school and use nothing but CLI anyway. SSH is your friend. :wacko:

:cry:

Guest gwizard

I use Ubuntu on my laptop with OpenOffice.Org 2 (works seamlessly with Office 2003).

Also, there is a wonderful Apache+MySQL+PHP+MANY OTHER STUFF package called xampp.

Installs in minutes and works like a charm.

I use all my dev on it.