support for a beginner

Guest letshost

Guest letshost

I am just about to purchase cubecart but I wonder if I can use it without knowlege of php and mysql coding.

In other words can cubecart be used like a template without the need to perform backend coding.

I am a front end web designer proficient in HTML, Javascript, Dreamweaver and the top graphic and animation packages. However, I need to step up to provide e-commerce solutions for my clients. I would be grateful for advice on how cubecart or any similar package can help me achieve this goal in the light of my background as a front-end designer.

Thank you.

I think you'll fare alright. I came into CC with some html but no php or SQL whatsoever. In short order I was coding my own store with the help of others on this board. It's not difficult to get started right out of the box and there are plenty of custom cut and paste mods available.

Yes, I agree with roban, with the knowledge you should be able to get CubeCart to do what you need it to. And if you ever need help, the forums are great here and the .or site!!

Jen

I am just about to purchase cubecart but I wonder if I can use it without knowlege of php and mysql coding.

In other words can cubecart be used like a template without the need to perform backend coding.

I am a front end web designer proficient in HTML, Javascript, Dreamweaver and the top graphic and animation packages. However, I need to step up to provide e-commerce solutions for my clients. I would be grateful for advice on how cubecart or any similar package can help me achieve this goal in the light of my background as a front-end designer.

Thank you.

You'll probably discover that those tools you mentioned will not be used often when working in CC. But you will want, at least, an image editor like Photoshop and an editor that can be configured to handle CSS, TPL and PHP. You'll find an excellent tool for those (PHPdesigner) at www.mpsoftware.org.

You also will want a robust FTP program. I use WS_FTP from Ipswitch (ww.ipswitch.com). Some here prefer SmartFTP (www.smartftp.com).

SmartFTP is free (but eventually has a nag screen), and after 30 days, the free trial for WS_FTP stops orking. But I paid to activate WS_FTP because, for me at least, I found it more robust and less prone to dropped connections.

You'll find little discussion here of certain other tools I think are important. Like you, I create and host web sites. My service offers clients access to Urchin, Webalizer, Awstats, etc. because I don't see how you can run any web site, especially an online store, without first-class traffic analysis.

Welcome to the CC community. You'll find great help here from some really excellent CubeCart programmers and modders. (OK, I said it like you told me. Can I have my pants back now?)

I'm a web consultant. Although I'm good for advising on different subjects (with 26 years of experience using computers), and my company offers a variety of hosting and design services, I don't know any php Programming - Well, I can make a simple database and display the data. I can interpret it reasonably well (Gives me headaches after a while).

With packages like CubeCart, all you need to know is your server information (Which your hosting provider can give you if you are not sure), how to use your FTP software to upload and change permissions - Bit like using Windows explorer, but with a few added configuration settings, and just follow the instructions.

Unless you have a specific application, start off by installing the system using standard settings. Once you get more familiar with how it works, then you can play around with it some more.

Always make sure you do backups of all your files. There will be a day wen you start to tamper and it all goes horribly wrong!

CubeCart setup is simple and straightforward for simple and straightforward instalations.

Plus as has been mentioned, there are people here to help should anything go a bit wrong somewhere along the line.