Shipping by Category incorrect $

Guest Kirsteno

Guest Kirsteno

Hi, I'm trying to use the shipping by category method but the numbers show up wrong in the cart. For example: if the shipping should be $3.00, the cart shows $3.71. $5.00 show up in the cart as $6.31.

I've double checked my numbers in shipping & that I am using USD. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Kirsten O

Guest Kirsteno

Has anyone else had this problem? It's the one thing that's keeping me from going live....Any thoughts? I've checked everything I can think of.

Thanks,

Kirsten

Guest Kirsteno

Okay, I'm an idiot. I didn't have "tax exempt" selected in the Shipping By Category configuration so it was adding my state sales tax to all orders. DUH!

Maybe this will save someone else from tearin' their hair out... I can only hope.

• 1 year later...
Guest BigD

Hi, I'm trying to use the shipping by category method but the numbers show up wrong in the cart. For example: if the shipping should be $3.00, the cart shows $3.71. $5.00 show up in the cart as $6.31.

I've double checked my numbers in shipping & that I am using USD. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Kirsten O

You must select the Tax Exempt option because what is happening is the shipping amount is being taxed.

• 3 months later...

That may well be true but it makes no sense that shipping is being taxed.

Here's what I am seeing.

I created a test item. Price .01 (one cent).

All items are to be taxed at 7.0%

I configured its category for a $1.50 shipping charge.

But buying one of the items is calculated at

item = .01

tax = 0.00 (that's an issue I've raised elsewhere - no items are being taxed, even though config is OK))

shipping = 1.60 (not the 1.50 for which the category is configured)

total cost = 1.61

If the above explanation is true, that shipping is being taxed (something that is just never done in the USA),

how is 7.0% of .01 = to 10 cents?

Something else is going on and it's obviously not tax on shipping because in this case, there's no tax being charged to begin with, and even if there were, it should not be 1,000% (10 cent tax on a penny item).

Guest Ball Or Nothing

That may well be true but it makes no sense that shipping is being taxed.

Here's what I am seeing.

I created a test item. Price .01 (one cent).

All items are to be taxed at 7.0%

I configured its category for a $1.50 shipping charge.

But buying one of the items is calculated at

item = .01

tax = 0.00 (that's an issue I've raised elsewhere - no items are being taxed, even though config is OK))

shipping = 1.60 (not the 1.50 for which the category is configured)

total cost = 1.61

If the above explanation is true, that shipping is being taxed (something that is just never done in the USA),

how is 7.0% of .01 = to 10 cents?

Something else is going on and it's obviously not tax on shipping because in this case, there's no tax being charged to begin with, and even if there were, it should not be 1,000% (10 cent tax on a penny item).

I ran into this problem myself. The shipping itself is being taxed. So:

Item = .01

Shipping = 1.50

7% tax on 1.50 = .105

Total = 1.6105

Solution is to change the Tax Class in Per Category to "Tax Exempt". Works fine after that... (Thanks Kirsteno!)

Cheers!