PHP in Safe Mode

Guest mpjx

Hi all,

I shall be doing my first "non-test" install of CubeCart (the latest version 3.0.10) within the next 6 weeks for a client. I have to find suitable, robust hosting with plenty of monthly bandwidth.

My usual hosting company (Media Temple) is great except that at the moment their shared services run with php in Safe Mode. There is an option to run php as cgi, eliminating most but not all of the Safe Mode restrictions.

I'd really appreciate it if you could help my following questions:

1. Is there a definitive list available of the issues/problems involved in running CubeCart v3 under PHP with safe mode ON?

2. Are there work arounds for all the issues/problems created with safe mode ON?

3. Can anyone recommend a good alternative hosting company/package with safe mode OFF so that Cube Cart will work straight "out of the box"? Preferably UK based hosting so that I can get hold of tech support quickly if there's a problem.

P.S. I'll be configuring Cube Cart to use SSL - don't know if this will make a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Martin

Guest gwizard

My host runs PHP in cgi mode and I have absolutely no problems.

As for the Safe Mode, I never tried it, but I heard that there may be issues with images and thumbnail generation. Specifically with stat() directive.

My host runs PHP in cgi mode and I have absolutely no problems.

As for the Safe Mode, I never tried it, but I heard that there may be issues with images and thumbnail generation. Specifically with stat() directive.

Thanks for the reply gwizard. Do you mind telling me which hosting company you use?