Exercise Caution when purchasing mods.....

Guest viss

I just wanted to advise newer people when purchasing mods to be cautious and to be sure that mods you will be using will suit your needs and other mods that you have installed on your site.

I have wasted good $$$ due to the fact that certain mods dont work with other mods and vise versa, When it comes to selling these mods the vendors are quite keen and eager to help but when it comes to getting the support you need for these mods it seems that responses are few and far between.

Ive purchased from 2 of the larger sellers on this site and later to findout emails go un answered and mods are rendered useless. Im not going to say what mods I purchased or name the people involved I just wanted to warn others to be very carefull and ask questions before you purchase the items and make sure that the seller knows exactly what mods you have and wether the mod will be compatible.

One of the answers I got was purchase another mod to compensate for the mod youve just installed this will fix your problem B) More $$$$.......

Just be carefull or you may find yourself throwing away good money. :P

Guest gwizard

Happened to me as well.

After I realized that I won't have my money returned I employed my gray cells in fixing the mod to work under my setup. It took me couple of days to understand what the other modder did and I rewrote his mod for my setup. Cut out 50% of the code until it finally worked :P

That was an important lesson that I hope everybody will remember before purchasing !

P.S. Do NOT use Paypal to purchase. Their refund policy is a joke.

Guest Brivtech

Perhaps when posting MODs, the developers should also have to include support, payment and policy information. That way, everyone knows what they're getting themselves into before they make the purchase.

I'm sure these rogue MODs are the exceptions rather than the rule, I haven't heard about this happening before.

Guest EverythingWeb

This exact situation is being actively discussed to find the optimum solution.

Unfortunately, Devellion Ltd/CubeCart aren't and cannot be held responsible for MODS bought from third-parties, however we (the forums and powers that be) will find a solution where we can do all we can to help this situation, which as Brivtech pointed out, is not the norm.

This exact situation is being actively discussed to find the optimum solution.

Unfortunately, Devellion Ltd/CubeCart aren't and cannot be held responsible for MODS bought from third-parties, however we (the forums and powers that be) will find a solution where we can do all we can to help this situation, which as Brivtech pointed out, is not the norm.

Agreed im not in anyway holding Devellion responsible nor implying that its their fault I just want to make other users aware of this and to be carefull of what you purchase. And to ask if support is available after perchase.

I support every customer I've ever had. Some so far as to install their mods because they didn't know how to turn on a lightswitch much less install PHP code into their store. But I digress... Support should indeed be outlined prior to purchase. Perhaps I'll go add that to my site now. B)

:P

I have purchased a few mods, and found any support I've required to be outstanding. And I have posted my appreciation in the relevant CubeCart.org threads.

I would definately recommend posting feedback in the relavent product thread. This is the best way to give other potential customers an honest accessment of the service they are likely to receive about that product.

I thought this is what CubeCart.org was all about, well, partly anyway :P

Guest Brivtech

I'm still amazed people don't keep backups! If you're adding a MOD and it doesn't work, what do you do?

A> Cry in your hands

B> Bang your head violently against a wall

C> Shoot the whole family and some of the neighbours with the ammunition you have left

D> restore the backup you made before installing the MOD that didn't work.

You know what - some of you lot on here who have problems have yourselves to blame by not following some simple web-programming protocols! Thank God in the heavens that there are people patient enough to bale you all out!

To spell it out once more:

1. Ensure passwords are random mixes of upper and lower case letters and numbers.

2. Change your passwords on a regular basis

3. MAKE BACKUPS EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY SOMETHING!

4. NEVER GIVE PEOPLE YOUR PASSWORDS!

</rant>

:P

I would definately recommend posting feedback in the relavent product thread. This is the best way to give other potential customers an honest accessment of the service they are likely to receive about that product.

I thought this is what CubeCart.org was all about, well, partly anyway B)

Exactly!

Guest gwizard

I support every customer I've ever had. Some so far as to install their mods because they didn't know how to turn on a lightswitch much less install PHP code into their store.

Took the words out of my mouth !

Guest shandaman

Yah, this happened to me once so far. Thats why on the mods I do create I provide a tellephone number so they can reach me any time. Because I know how it feels.

Guest gwizard

I think telephone number is a bit of overkill. If I would to do it no one would probably call me.

Long distance to Israel would cost you more then most of my mods :D

I would be installing a forum later on for support issues and feature requests.

That way, I wouldn't breach this forum rules AND give my customers a place to express their creativity :wacko:

I'm still amazed people don't keep backups! If you're adding a MOD and it doesn't work, what do you do?

A> Cry in your hands

B> Bang your head violently against a wall

C> Shoot the whole family and some of the neighbours with the ammunition you have left

D> restore the backup you made before installing the MOD that didn't work.

You know what - some of you lot on here who have problems have yourselves to blame by not following some simple web-programming protocols! Thank God in the heavens that there are people patient enough to bale you all out!

To spell it out once more:

1. Ensure passwords are random mixes of upper and lower case letters and numbers.

2. Change your passwords on a regular basis

3. MAKE BACKUPS EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY SOMETHING!

4. NEVER GIVE PEOPLE YOUR PASSWORDS!

</rant>

;)

I thought this is what CubeCart.org was all about, well, partly anyway :D

Exactly!

Youve missed the whole concept here of the tread. I have a backup and I know how to enter code I can restore the store to its former glory but what is that solving Ohh thats right the store works again and im $40 lighter in my pocket :wacko: Wake up no one offers refunds on digital downloads so im screwed.

I sent yet aqnother email to one of these people today to get some action and blow me down i got a reply now I just have to wait and see how long it tkes to get the issue looked at. FYI the reason of the post is

1. Advise people to ask questions before purchasing mods

2. Be carefull that its compatable with other mods.

3. Make sure that the support is there after you purchase your mod.

No crying here mate nor killling of family I run an online professional business and all I want to offer my clients Is a shopping experiance that works.

So before you blow your trumpet get the facts right :D

Guest Brivtech

I'm surprised at your response, and want to assure you that by no means was it a personal attack. As you made a backup already, then you were one of lucky ones that managed to recover your site from a near-disaster. Otherwise, there's the many many posts on CubeCart of people trying to fix things that aren't actually because of the system itself, but because they've performed some modification or another (whether it be from a third party mod, or something they've done themselves), posts that people like me (and other regular contributors) take the time to read and patience to offer assistance with. There is no financial reward for doing this, and it would be nice not to be attacked for trying to give help.

I didn't miss the point of this topic - I sympathise with your loss, but I was trying to add to the topic, a point that is important and is so tremendously overlooked. I suggested ways how this flaw in controlling MOD support could be improved in the third post of this very topic (and you tell me I don't have the facts right?). I then wished to add another point: While it is one thing to get let down badly by a rogue MODder (CubeCart.ORG is the place to raise your concerns with the moderators there, so they can make a direct action about it), it's even worse to have a broken site that you can't do anything about. As you said, you simply want to offer your clients the ability to use your shop. The costs to businesses because they can't recover their website can be very dramatic, certainly more than the cost of a couple of cheap MODs.

It seems from your response, that perhaps you have taken direct offense at my approach of using humour to make a point, where I tried to state the obvious in small print compared with the extreme in larger type. Really, who would actually do any those things because their system was messed up! It was certainly not my intention to personaly offend you, I was trying to address a more general audience.

Many of the CubeCart users don't know much about computers, but their aims are just like yours. They however, often don't have the benefit of hindsight and experience. If someone had warned you about rogue mods and how to recover from problems, perhaps you wouldn't have lost your investment of $40. They need to be taught about the pitfalls - No trumpet blowing, just trying to push a important point home that does actually bear relevance to this topic, because it at least provides a suggestion of what to do if they are in this situation. so they don't lose sales as well as their investment.

It's one thing to make people aware of a problem, it's another to deliver solutions.