adding a tag or something to photos

Guest marline

Guest marline

Is there a way to add a tag or something to a photo on a web site or web store that would not allow someone to print or save the photo to there computer?

Is there a way to add a tag or something to a photo on a web site or web store that would not allow someone to print or save the photo to there computer?

All someone would need to do is right click and chose 'save'. You could always add a link within the product description to "Download Photo" :)

There's code that can prevent the right click from working but it usually only works for pages seen in Internet Explorer. If there's a similar mod for FireFox and Opera I'm not aware it.

The reason you rarely see that technique, it is is easily defeated by a touch on the PrtScr (proint screen) key. Douing that puts a snapshot of the screen into the computer's memory.

You then open Photoshop > File > New > OK > Ctrl-V (for paste from memory) and you then have a copy of the entire page, including the target graphic. Crop the page away from the wanted graphic and you have it.

And that's just one of a number of techniques for taking a copy of a graphic from a right-click-blocked page. That same process also defeats a "watermark."

In sum, resign yourself to the fact that photos can be stolen. Of course, you could put a diagonal line of text across a photo, with the text just visible enough to discourage misuse. But that would work only if the marring of the photo did not conflict with the purpose of the graphic.

Now to find a stolen graphic being abused, the same Internet that makes it easy to steal also facilitates discovery of abuse. In this case go to www.images.google.com and search using the keywords that are likely to be associated with the graphic. To make things easier, before you launch the search, while on the Google images search page, select "advanced search." That will allow you to do better searches and to configure a larger count of responses.

The first search should use your original file name. However, that will not expose abuse where the file name has been changed. Then do a keyword search on a word that describes a subject in more generality. For example, after you do a search on "Chevy" then do a new search on "Malibu;" then do "car;" then one on "auto;" then one on "automobile" etc. . . .

Hope that helps . . .

Guest marline

All someone would need to do is right click and chose 'save'. You could always add a link within the product description to "Download Photo" :)

There's code that can prevent the right click from working but it usually only works for pages seen in Internet Explorer. If there's a similar mod for FireFox and Opera I'm not aware it.

The reason you rarely see that technique, it is is easily defeated by a touch on the PrtScr (proint screen) key. Douing that puts a snapshot of the screen into the computer's memory.

You then open Photoshop > File > New > OK > Ctrl-V (for paste from memory) and you then have a copy of the entire page, including the target graphic. Crop the page away from the wanted graphic and you have it.

And that's just one of a number of techniques for taking a copy of a graphic from a right-click-blocked page. That same process also defeats a "watermark."

In sum, resign yourself to the fact that photos can be stolen. Of course, you could put a diagonal line of text across a photo, with the text just visible enough to discourage misuse. But that would work only if the marring of the photo did not conflict with the purpose of the graphic.

Now to find a stolen graphic being abused, the same Internet that makes it easy to steal also facilitates discovery of abuse. In this case go to www.images.google.com and search using the keywords that are likely to be associated with the graphic. To make things easier, before you launch the search, while on the Google images search page, select "advanced search." That will allow you to do better searches and to configure a larger count of responses.

The first search should use your original file name. However, that will not expose abuse where the file name has been changed. Then do a keyword search on a word that describes a subject in more generality. For example, after you do a search on "Chevy" then do a new search on "Malibu;" then do "car;" then one on "auto;" then one on "automobile" etc. . . .

Hope that helps . . .

I guess that's just one of the draw backs of the internet. Anyone can take what you have and do what ever they please.

Thanks for your input!

Not really. The theft and abuse of copyright material was so offensive to the Big Boys (record companies, movies, etc) that they got the US Congress to pass a law that gave them a powerful weapon for shutting down a web site containing their copyrighted material.

As it turned out, the way the law is written, anyone can use it for the same purpose and with the same results. All hosting companies in the USA are required to have, on their web site, a page containing their statement of compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), along with the contact information for their compliance officer. A conforming notice of violation of the DMCA (in toehr words, a properly worded letter or fax) will cause that web site's removal without delay or discussion. You can see an example of the requirements at:

http://buildinghosting.com/legal.htm

Many hosting companies ignore that requirement - or hide it - but they dare not avoid shutting down a web site that is the subject of a conforming notice of DMCA violation because to do so puts them at risk of a 2 year prison sentence and a $500,000,000 fine for every offense.

I have used the DMCA to shut down the web site of a millionaire Flordia real estate developer that was using text and photos stolen from one of my web sites. It was gone before the next morning and has never re-appeared more than three years later.

Palm (the handheld computer) was selling a CD containing my 6,500 word text and charts that described and compared all the then known Rapid Development Kits for programming their O/S. I had written the article for the magazine HandHeld Computer and the S.O.B. publisher then tried to rip me off by selling the article on a CD though the Palm web site. He had only paid for the magazine version, not for any other medium. When I asked him to either pay me for that added use or stop selling the CD, he told me to ****off.

Within one hour after I sent a conforming notice of violation of the DMCA, Palm's lawyers contacted me and told me it would be removed immediately. It disappeared with 15 minutes.

So if you ever find a web site using your graphics and text - and the site is hosted anywhere in the USA - you can have that site killed almost immediately.

Hope that helps . . .