Newbie name servers

Guest novio8

Guest novio8

I installed xampp, works perfecly with cubecart.

I registered .com name for one year and I would like to host

my own webpage.

Now I have to enter primary and secondary Server Hostname

and server IP address.

I dont know where to get them or how to set up my computer

for this operation.

Maybe this is over my head, but I would like to try

Any help is appreciated

Guest novio8

This is what the hosting company gave you, if not ask them :dizzy:

Thanks, but I would like to host it on my computer

any ideas

any ideas

Unless you want to do this as a learning experience, it's not a good idea for a variety of good reasons, especially if you intend to operate an online store as a profitable business. To start with, you will need more hardware than just a simple PC. A server is not a PC and vice versa.

But let's assume you cobble up a PC so it performs enough of the functions of a server that you can install all the needed software, plus a CubeCart and actually start serving your pages. The next issue is your connection. Unless you are willing to invest in enterprise grade connections to the Internet backbone at the top tier, you will not be able to handle more than a limited volume of traffic. The kind of volume you'd need to be profitable will choke your ordinary home connection. Further, as soon as your ISP finds out you are running a server for an online store - and they have sniffers to determine that - they probably will shut you off for violating their TOS.

Then there is security. Let's not even go there.

When you are all done, you will have "saved" yourself $20 a month that professional-grade hosting costs.

At the end, what you would have reminds me of what Mark Twain once said about a report that someone had trained a dog to talk. It's not remarkable that the dog talks, but that anyone would expect it to say anything worth the trouble.

Now having said all that, what you need is not in the scope of this forum about Cube Cart. I'm sure there are forae devoted to building and operating your own server. I just Googled that and got a promise of 18,500,000 pages that mention the topic. At least one of those sites must contain a forum. Here's the first few search results . . . (The SitePoint book mentioned in one is excellent - and their web site is loaded with informative articles)

So You Want to Run Your Own Server

If you want your own domain and basic Web hosting, a good starting point is ... The server computer's operating system ensured that each process got a fair ...

philip.greenspun.com/panda/server - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

MacDevCenter.com -- Build Your Own Apache Server with mod_perl

How to customize the standard Apache Web server included with Mac OS X for serious ... Compiling your own applications means that you need a compiler. ...

www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html - 38k - May 23, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Configuring ISA Server 2000: Books: Thomas Shinder ...

Share your own customer images · Search inside this book ... of ISA Server 2000, Microsoft's platform for building and operating ecommerce and Web solutions ...

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1928994296?v=glance - 156k - May 23, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Changes for CICS Transaction Server for z/OS, Version 3 Release 1 ... Your own data sets · Lengths of areas passed to CICS commands · LENGTH options ...

publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v3r1/topic/com.ibm.cics.ts31.doc/dfhp3/dfhp3b0002.htm - 105k - Cached - Similar pages

Fire Up your own Linux Server [server Side Essentials]

The book is designed to show you how to set up, optimize and secure your own Web server. This excerpt of four chapters covers:. Building the Linux ...

www.sitepoint.com/article/fire-up-linux-server - 43k - May 23, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Good luck

any ideas

When you are all done, you will have "saved" yourself $20 a month that professional-grade hosting costs.
You would have spent out far more than $20 a month in upgrading the ISP connection, required hardware and software, security precautions and your time.

As a professional I would not even attempt this for a website I wanted people to visit. It depends what your objective is.