Offline editing...

Guest Ice_Keese

Guest Ice_Keese

I decided to temporaly shutdown my site to work on it a bit without having to pay for it...

But then, I got a question... is there a way I can work on my CC shop on my computer (I mean, offline), then upload it later?

Sure, but it won't necessarily be easy. You'll need Apache, PHP and MySQL installed on your local machine. Some people have no problem configuring CubeCart to run under Winblows, some have all kinds of troubles.

As cheap as hosting is nowadays, big deal if you spend a month or two paying for the hosting before your site is ready to go live. I figure a couple of months of hosting should cost no more than $30-40 on the high side. If that's too much money for you to spend, then perhaps e-commerce isn't your cup of tea. :D

Trust me, it'll be a LOT easier to set it up on a proper Linux-based web server than a home PC. Personally, I have a Linux server here at my desk. I can run anything on it I want and use Samba to access it as a mapped drive from within Windows. It makes life SOOO much simpler when you do a lot of coding. :)

:dizzy:

I decided to temporaly shutdown my site to work on it a bit without having to pay for it...

But then, I got a question... is there a way I can work on my CC shop on my computer (I mean, offline), then upload it later?

I don't disagree with Sir Williams comments in any way - but to offer a complete answer and allow you do experiment with what you have in mind, go to the search feature in this forum.

Search on the key phrase "thumb drive."

You'll find an a detailed explanation of how to install a CC on any portable mediumj, from a thumb drive to a laptop or desktop. The purpose there is different from yours. I wrote that because I needed to show sample stores to prospective clients. I can plug my thumb drive into any PC's USB port and show off the sample stores. The thumb drive software also claims it also will run on Mac and Linux, but I have not tesetd that

But, for your intention, after you are done building your store, you will be confronted with the issues Sir W raises. As he says, you'd be a lot better off paying for hosting.

Good luck . . .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ice_Keese

Hum, I think I go a way to do it...

I found a program, MAMP, that installs Apache, MySQL and PHP on a Mac. I can then use it to create a local server and configure my shop that way.

Anyway, thanks!

Guest Brivtech

With regard to the hosting - Some companies offer free hosting. You get adverts on your site, but at least you get a properly working server to test on.

Be very careful when making modifications on your own computer - It's easy to overwrite the original files my mistake and if something goes wrong, you could have to revert back to a download. Alsobe careful NOT to update links if using Dreamweaver or Frontpage - Links in CubeCart are relative, and any you add shoud follow the same format. That way, when you transfer your finished site to a webserver, you shouldn't have any problems with file locations.