how true is this, or are they blowing hot air?

Guest BuymyJewelry

Guest BuymyJewelry

Just read this on of course on the competitors site about cube cart.

Well, these guys have the right idea, but not in the right way. I think the problem here is understaffing, but v2's biggest problem is that it would put the entire site under SSL mode if you enabled it, which is bad for those with Shared SSL servers being bogged down with all that traffic. Now in v3 that was just released, they essentially lock you out of your own admin panel if you enable SSL. They use PHP_Serialize to put the secure info into the database, but if you made one mistake when submitting, you screwed yourself from ever getting back in because the database is basically encrypted. You need PHP_Unserialize to read that data back and after 3 hours of struggling you realize that v3 just doesn't work with SharedSSL at all. The cart however is nicely done, with a lot of nice features, there are some contribs that are useful, but the overall stability and versatility of the store needs to improve. Its still got a ways to go to catch up to even osCommerce, it needs a lot more to reach Zen level!

is this true about the PHP_Serialize?

Guest gwizard

This is true that config table is encoded, but they neglected to mention one small detail.

While you will lock yourself out of admin if you misconfigure SSL, there is a tool that you can download from this site 'ConfigTool' that will allow you to access your DB and remedy the situation. Before the tool things were pretty ugly, but now ? It's pretty simple to fix if you entered wrong config.

Guest Brivtech

Its a scandal to say it doesn't work with shared SSL, because I have it doing so, and without problems!

Also, to say the entire site is put under SSL, is wrong. It only switches to SSl for secure areas, such as Admin, and also checkout.

I don't understand the bit about the database being encrypted. I can read it just fine through mySQL, and it exports to CSV where I can load it into Excel without any noticable encryption.

I think someone got their facts a bit wrong, or I'm not understanding all of this right.