adding product description to category view

Guest robdav1

Guest robdav1

Hi all.

I'm trying to get my head round displaying product description text for products displayed on the category page.

I've set up my category page as my client has specified, except for the description of the product. They really don't want to use the viewprod side of things so I need a way of displaying the text on the category page.

Have a look here (http://www.robdav.co.uk/floral/Store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2) which is the category page for the scarlet collection. If I can get the description to show up under the product title then it's job done.

Many thanks

I assume you mean to remove the truncation on the description of the product? This can be done by editing the reference on line 249 (about that line) in includes/content/viewCat.inc.php.

Find...

$view_cat->assign("TXT_DESC",substr(strip_tags($productResults[$i]['description']),0,$config['productPrecis'])."…");

Change to something like...

$view_cat->assign("TXT_DESC",$productResults[$i]['description']);

Edit: Ahh... oops sorry, mis-read it. The descriptions do appear if you have them in the styleTemplate/content/viewCat.tpl file. They are there in the shipped skins, as you are using a custom skin, maybe worth contacting the person who created the skin for you. You may still need the above modification to remove the truncation in the description.

Guest robdav1

Edit: Ahh... oops sorry, mis-read it. The descriptions do appear if you have them in the styleTemplate/content/viewCat.tpl file. They are there in the shipped skins, as you are using a custom skin, maybe worth contacting the person who created the skin for you. You may still need the above modification to remove the truncation in the description.

I've created the custom skin. :lol:

Anyway, I guess what you are saying is to take a look at the viewcat.tpl of the classic skin for example, and go from there.

thanks