creating a new payment module

I need to create a custom payment module so that i can use it to connect to local credit card processing gateways. Is it possible to write my module and add it to the list of already available modules, so i can select them from withing the control panel?

I am fairly new to php and cubecart because i come from a C# background, however i thing cubecart is a very good product and i wish to add functionality that my future clients may require.

At the moment i am learning how to customize the layout and visual aspects of cubecart and i think i am doing good progress with the online information availalbe, however i did not manage to find information how to build a custom gateway.

What does it mean local credit card processing gateways?

local credit card processing gateways, unlike other gateways like paypal, 2co etc also allow customers living in Malta to pay using a debit card issued by a local bank. For example in malta we have 3 local banks and they all issue their own debit card for their customers. if another gateway is used these cards could not be used.

This is an important consideration, because many people do not have a credit card but almost everyone has a debit card. Since i am targeting my service to local busineses i need to make sure customers can use debit cards.

Hope i put you in the picture....

thanks for your interest.