Question about where to put my digital downloads

Guest fozz

Hi,

I am using Netfirms hosting and they do not allow access to create folders outside the www folder. So I was at a loss until I thought of this.... tell me if you think this would work or if there would be any problem doing this?

The farthest down I can go gives me access to

/cgi-bin/ and /www/

and I cannot create a folder here as I would like too, so I thought I could put my downloads in the cgi-bin folder!?!?

It is below the www so it shouldn't be accessible to the public. right?

I tested it and I was able to download the file from there, but I want to know if this is safe or not recommended, what do you think?.

Thanks,

Josh

This is not the best solution. If you are not able to create any folder out of www and you are able to create the .htaccess file (host running Apache), just create any folder within www and create a .htaccess file with content

Deny from all

in created folder. Folder will be NO http public accessible.

Do some tests like direct http URL to your files you copy via FTP to this folder.

Hi Convict,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have setup the .htaccess file and am unable to download files from that folder, so it works well, thanks. Is this really secure?

Also, on a side note, if I try to access a file in that folder with the .htaccess in it, I get a custom error page that is branded all over with Netfirms' logo. Is there a way that I can just redirect anyone who tries to go into this folder back to my homepage?

Also, just for my own knowledge, why is it not a good idea to use the CGI-BIN folder as I suggested earlier?

Thanks,

Josh