Open Source Question

Guest alegria

Guest alegria

I was under the impression that if I paid for a licence then the code became available and it was then open source code.

It would seem that my impression is incorrect, can anybody confirm this?

Also does anybody know any glitches with using cube to Link Point?

I've email sales but they must not work on week-ends and support is not available unless I've purchased.

Robert

Guest EverythingWeb

Okay, first off CubeCart is not open source, at all.

The full source code is available, at no cost, by downloading from this website.

The fee which you refer to is actually a copyright removal key which allows you to remove the powered by CubeCart tags from your store.

Hope this clears it up.

The phrase Open Source actually is the registered trademark of an organization devoted to promoting and protecting a specific type of copyright of what is commonly called Open Spource Software (OSS). It is described at http://www.opensource.org/.

CC is not OSS.

The creator and owner of CC has chosen, for his own good reasons, to retain the copyright but leave the code itself open so that it can be modified and edited by people who stay within the guidelines of his copyright. That has resulted in a highly flexible and greatly appealing concept that allows thousands of stores to be built and customized that otherwise might not have been created.

The CC registration fee is for removal of the copyright notice from the registrant's copy but that does not change the fact that he retains the copyright.

Think of it this way. You buy a house. You own it. You put your name on the door. Then you rent out the house and remove your name from the door so visitor will not be confused as to who is currently in occupancy. You allow the occupant, within certain limits, to paint and decorate and furnish the house. They can shut off rooms not wanted. They can even make certain changes to how the house functions. But neither those modifications, nor removing your name from the door, changes the fact that you still own the house.

That's the copyright situation with CubeCart.

Now as to tech support.

Your best support service is here in this forum - as well as the sister forum for third-party support by commercial suppliers, at cubecart.org. Most of it is free. Only some devilishly clever mods or specific optional services are charged.

I've built 5 stores for clients. It's my own policy that I will not do that unless my client makes a registration payment, either directly or through me. I have that policy because I think that the revenue stream, as small as it is, encourages development and improvement of CC.

That also privileges me to seek support from the developer when I encounter an issue that is not resolved here in these two forums. But I know I'm dealing with a small operation at that end. It's not a major corporation (thank God for that!!) with staff providing support 24/7/365. And he's in another part of the world, more than a few time zones away.

For me it's last resort backup support. And when I've been in a pinch, it's come through. At times I've had to wait a few days but usually it's pretty prompt.

But the free support is usually so prompt and forthcoming that I think I've only gone to the well three or four times in the past two years.

Yes, I'm frankly a little bit worried about the forthcoming change in the license that will attach to the next CC version. I hope it does not involve abandonment of long-time registered supporters of the current version But I have to trust in the integrity of people who, so far, have not given me any reason to think otherwise.

Hope that clarifies things.

Guest vrakas

Welcome */*

I do beleive that almost all questions can be answered here and also feel free to check out the .org forum, you can find all 3rd party mods and skins lacated there. :rolly:

Your ticket should be replyed when the CC staff return back on Monday :)

PS: Dont forget to read the rules and check out the pinned posts, they are very helpfull :w00t:

In short, hope this helps you and Welcome to the forum :)