Why is Paypal in Spanish? CC Admin configurable?

Guest spanishben

Guest spanishben

Hi,

When passed from my store to Paypal, customers see the paypal payments screen in Spanish, with country set to Spain, until they change the country to e.g. UK or USA and then the language becomes English. I need the default language to be English for this page and wonder if CC is passing some info to paypal upon payment that is setting the country to Spain. I have tried setting the country to UK in admin, but still end up with the page in Spanish.

I know this is probably a paypal problem but they are not being helpful. DOes anyone know if there is an option in my paypal profile to sort this out? Could it be CC that is passing the info about the country to PayPal?

Any help on where to make the necessary change would be very very useful.

Thanks, Ben

At your Pay Pal account profile tab/Selling Preferences/language encoding make sure your language is set properly.

You don't give us a URL to your site so I don't know what your language settings are. When you set up your Pay Pal account you set it up in what language?

Guest spanishben

Sorry, my store url is http://www.notesinspanish.com/store/

I have set the language preference in PayPal to English, and under profile tab/Selling Preferences/language encoding - I have chosen the Western character set. My store is only in English, and I have tried setting the store address in admin to countries other than Spain and nothing happens. The same if I register as an imaginary customer and set my address to another country, e.g. USA, I still end up with the paypal page displaying the country as Spain, and the language as Spanish.

I have had a look through PayPal doumentation and came across this:

Prepopulating Your Customer’s PayPal Sign-Up

If you have already collected your customer’s information, you can pass this information to

PayPal to prepopulate the first page of a new customer’s sign-up. The fields and parameters

are listed in the following table. You can pass all or none of this data, as necessary. Even

though your customer’s sign-up page is prepopulated, it is stilleditable.

To pass this information to the PayPal payment pages, post the variable name and the

associated data to PayPal in the HTML in the form of variable name=value. You must also

change your cmd value to _ext-enter, and add the redirect_cmd variable whose value

should be _xclick.

TABLE A.7 Prepopulation Variables for Website Payments

country Sets shipping and billing country. See

Appendix C for allowable country codes.

Alphabetic 2

So, could I not try forcing the country code to e.g. USA? I have looked through transfer.inc.php in the gateway/paypal folder, and see no reference to country info being passed, could this be the problem?

I am really keen to sort this out, and PayPal say it must be the software I am using. I presume that this may be happening because my PayPal account address is in Spain, but wonder if I can pass a fixed country variable to PayPal, then maybe I can get the first PayPal page to be in a different language (English). I really appreciate any more help on this as I am sure I am loosing sales...

-Ben

Guest spanishben

How about my idea of forcing a country variable to be send to PayPal? Is transfer.inc.php in the paypal folder the file that controls the paypal gateway? If so, it includes this code:

<input type='hidden' name='cmd' value='_xclick' />

<input type='hidden' name='business' value='".$module['email']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='item_name' value='Cart Order No: ".$cart_order_id."' />

<input type='hidden' name='item_number' value='".$cart_order_id."' />

<input type='hidden' name='amount' value='".$amount."' />

<input type='hidden' name='shipping' value='".$basket['shipCost']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='invoice' value='".$cart_order_id."' />

<input type='hidden' name='first_name' value='".$ccUserData[0]['firstName']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='last_name' value='".$ccUserData[0]['lastName']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='currency_code' value='".$config['defaultCurrency']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='address1' value='".$ccUserData[0]['add_1']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='address2' value='".$ccUserData[0]['add_2']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='city' value='".$ccUserData[0]['town']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='state' value='".$ccUserData[0]['county']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='zip' value='".$ccUserData[0]['postcode']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='day_phone_a' value='".$ccUserData[0]['phone']."' />

<input type='hidden' name='add' value='1' />

<input type='hidden' name='rm' value='2' />

<input type='hidden' name='no_note' value='1' />

<input type='hidden' name='upload' value='1' />";

no sign of a country in there, could it not be added with a set country code, eg USA, to see if that set PayPal in English? Trouble is I have ni idea where or how to add this. Can you help?

Thanks for help so far,

Ben

Guest spanishben

OK, I have found a solution, though not the final one I am after: by adding the following line of code to paypal/transfer.inc.php:

<input type='hidden' name='lc' value='US'>

You force the customer flow language to be English.

What I really want to do now is to also pass the 2 character alphabetic country code to paypal as well using this code (will also need to be added):

<input type='hidden' name='country' value='??????'>

What do I put in the value field in order to pull out the 2 letter country code for the customer? Is this possible?