Renaming The Admin Directory

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

For an extra bit of security and to stop people haveing a nose as to what cart script I'm using I've renamed the admin folder to foo and done a find and replace on all references from admin/ to foo/ in the admin directory to correct the the url refferences.

Everything looks like it's working as normal when loging into foo, but have I missed anything, will I create and issues with doing this?

Cheers,

Nicholas

For an extra bit of security and to stop people haveing a nose as to what cart script I'm using I've renamed the admin folder to foo and done a find and replace on all references from admin/ to foo/ in the admin directory to correct the the url refferences.

Everything looks like it's working as normal when loging into foo, but have I missed anything, will I create and issues with doing this?

Cheers,

Nicholas

As far as I know aikdo posted the full tutorial how to do in January. However, cannot find the result */*

Guest Nicholas

>Would you like to tell us what you changed for future reference?

Pretty much just what I said in my first post, I'll try to reword it so it's clearer

1. Renamed the admin folder, for example i changed it to "foo".

2. Using editplus's "find all in folder" feature I searched all the files in "foo", the new admin folder for "admin/" this opens all the files which contain "admin/" (the / is important as it will just find the instances where admin is part of a url reference).

3. Did a Find and Replace on all open files, found "admin/" and replaced with "foo/" (this updated all url references to "foo/")

logged into myshop.co.uk/foo to access the admin section.

isn't it easyer to use the .htaccess with a rewrite mod, a page check on the admin login page (that it checks the url) and if it's fonfirmed they can go to the login, otherwise be redirected to the main page (im a bit late, i know...)