search complete words only

Hello,

I've found that if I put in a search for 'table' I get anything back with table as part of the word, like vegetables. Or if you put in 'hog', you get mahogany. I'm using CC for a shop that sells miniatures (like scale models and the like) so the range of products is vast, from furniture (tables) to miniature food (vegetables).

Is there a way of only having complete word matches returned?

Many thanks, and I really hope someone can help.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I've found that if I put in a search for 'table' I get anything back with table as part of the word, like vegetables. Or if you put in 'hog', you get mahogany. I'm using CC for a shop that sells miniatures (like scale models and the like) so the range of products is vast, from furniture (tables) to miniature food (vegetables).

Is there a way of only having complete word matches returned?

Many thanks, and I really hope someone can help.

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm currently building a site with cubecart 3.0.13 and wanted to do an exact word/complete word search for my product range eg the whole word "red" but not match "credit"... here are the changes I made to get it working. Changes were made to includes/content/viewCat.inc.php

ADD after:

for ($i=0; $i<$noKeys;$i++) {

THE following:

if(strlen(trim($searchArray[$i])) == 0) {

continue;

}

The above addition means that empty search terms are ignored eg spaces at the begining or the end of a search query (" red and green" OR "red and green ")

CHANGE the following query:

$like .= "(name LIKE '%".$searchArray[$i]."%' OR description LIKE '%".$searchArray[$i]."%' OR productCode LIKE '%".$searchArray[$i]."%') OR ";

TO:

$like .= "(name REGEXP '[[:<:]]".$searchArray[$i]."[[:>:]]' OR description REGEXP '[[:<:]]".$searchArray[$i]."[[:>:]]' OR productCode REGEXP '[[:<:]]".$searchArray[$i]."[[:>:]]') OR ";

The above change adds two markers, they stand for word boundaries. They match the beginning and end of words, respectively.

FOR EXAMPLE: "This product is red." vs "Buy this product with a credit card.".... in the first example "red" is an isolated word because it is surrounded by non-alphabetic and/or non-numeric characters, in this case it is a "space" on the left and a "full-stop" on the right. Whereas in the second example "red" (part of the word "credit") is surrounded by alphabetic characters and therefore is not a whole/exact word, in this case "c" on the left and "it" on the right.

See the attached file for a diff formatted patch file.

viewCat_inc_php.txt