Search Results Page

Guest KatGirl

Guest KatGirl

Hi all,

I've spent the better part of the night trying to find a solution to this small problem. I've search both org & com and no luck with results.

I would like to creat a separate search results page - no, not site docs - as a template and call this template into play whenever a customer uses the search box. This is required, particularly if searching ISBN, as single product code will produce single item.

I have no problem using the existing category template for this effect providing I can modify the sidebar when Search Results occur.

Can someone please direct me to a tutorial or documentation that explains how to create a new template within CC ver 3 that is wholly driven by Search Results? Or how to modify an existing template to render a different style when used for single purpose ie: Search Results

Thank you

I am grateful for all help. ;)

Guest KatGirl

Surely someone out there knows how to do this? :D

It cannot be difficult, merely overlooked in the CC information/docs for this software? Has no one else wanted to pull other templates into their store at one stage or another?

Help would be sincerely thanked.

Kate

I've used third party search engines to do this. I had a go with ISearch which worked very well. It indexes your site and the results page is very configurable and best of all there is a FREE version. At the moment I use a software Search Engine Composer. A tad more difficult to configure but it works well.

You can try my search on my vitamin site. Do a search for 'calcium' and see if you like the results. ISearch is similar.

Guest KatGirl

I've used third party search engines to do this. I had a go with ISearch which worked very well. It indexes your site and the results page is very configurable and best of all there is a FREE version. At the moment I use a software Search Engine Composer. A tad more difficult to configure but it works well.

You can try my search on my vitamin site. Do a search for 'calcium' and see if you like the results. ISearch is similar.

thank you so much roban - your input is invaluable. I will do what you suggest and check your site. If I incur problems, naturally I'll post back.

Just one thing, though... My OP asked if it was possible to create new templates and pull them into CC using the standard syntax ie:

{WHATEVER}

I would still like to know if this is possible? I'm not scared to try things out, nor does PHP elude me entirely but I'm a little stumped with this theory.

Kate

thank you so much roban - your input is invaluable. I will do what you suggest and check your site. If I incur problems, naturally I'll post back.

Just one thing, though... My OP asked if it was possible to create new templates and pull them into CC using the standard syntax ie:

{WHATEVER}

I would still like to know if this is possible? I'm not scared to try things out, nor does PHP elude me entirely but I'm a little stumped with this theory.

Kate

This might help:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....hl=new+template

You should also request at cubecart.org where all the cube geeks hang out (no offense Mark and Milos) :D

Guest KatGirl

Thank you again roban for your incredible help. I will post a query at .org and see where it gets me. I checked out your threads, but they involved "boxes" not pages, which I will need a little bit more info on.

again, thank you

kate

• 3 months later...