Random Content for Homepage

Guest hobwebs

Guest hobwebs

I've been reading up on various conflicting posts and articles online that refer to SEO and the use of IFrames and AJAX random content boxes.

Does anyone have any experience of search engines spidering this type of content?

I'd like to use the rotating day-of-the-week type content like this: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/ajaxrotate.htm so the site is 'updated' or appears to be more than it actually is. I could then have special offers for one day of the week displayed etc.

I've heard there are tags you can use to help with IFrames etc but I'm really confused about the whole thing.

Of course the other option is to save the home.inc.php as one day of the week then edit and save a different one for the other days etc and upload them daily! ;)

I'm also not sure if the AJAX script will work with CubeCart's home page...

Any ideas? I know there are a lot of smart people here! :)

TIA

Ju

Guest garysmith

Hi Hobwebs

You do not need to use IFrames with a script like this. I take it that you just want to include it in your homepage as opposed to having it on every page? or do you want it in one of your side columns.

My thought on including in the homepage only...

I have not done this with a two part script but the second part will go in your

skins/{YOURSKIN}/styleTemplates/content/index.tpl

Surround it in a <div></div>, name the div and style & adjust position in your .css files.

As for the first part that goes in your <head>, I would have to presume that this code goes in skins/{YOURSKIN}/styleTemplates/global/index.tpl

These things always take a bit of experimentation, if you have a local server on your computer it may be worth trying it out on there.

If not give me a shout and I will try it on my localserver you will have to let me know where you want the positioning and maybe sample content, width & height etc.

All the best

Gary