Non-sequential Upgrade

Hey everyone,

I am so sorry if this has already been covered. I have been searching for an answer for a while now, but can't seem to find it. So here goes:

I have 3.0.10 which I modified myself. I didn't install any of those 3rd party mods that I read about all the time. Not even sure how to do that. I just went into my files and changed them so that my site would look the way that I want it to look. Most changes were in the skins folder, but several changes were also in files outside of the skins folder.

I want to upgrade to 3.0.13, but I don't know where to start. I downloaded the file for the CubeCart 3.0.13 upgrade, but I can't find a file in there that will upgrade me from 3.0.10 to 3.0.13. They are all sequential upgrades.

Also, I assume that if I upgrade, however it is done, my changes will be overwritten. Is this true? In another thread someone suggested WinMerge, but if I am comparing files from 3.0.10 and 3.0.13, how will I be able to clearly see the personal changes that I made in 3.0.10, since the two versions are not identical?

I installed with Fantastico, so I'm not familiar with databases and all that jazz.

Any help that anyone is able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If I were to do this here's what i would do:

Run the upgrade script to upgrade your database from 3.0.10 to 3.0.11

upload 3.0.11 files except your entire skins directory, language directory, includes/global.inc

Run the upgrade script to upgrade your database from 3.0.11 to 3.0.12

upload 3.0.12 files except your entire skins directory, language directory, includes/global.inc

Run the upgrade script to upgrade your database from 3.0.12 to 3.0.13

upload 3.0.13 files except your entire skins directory, language directory, includes/global.inc

Now you can go through the 3.0.13 changelog and make any changes needed.

Wow, so the skins directory, language directory, includes/global.inc can all remain the same in both versions? If I were to just do a clean install of 3.0.13, and then replace the skins directory, language directory, includes/global.inc with my current 3.0.10 files, would that be equivalent to your suggestion or would that leave out files that I would be comparing/changing with the changelog after that whole process? (Will the changelog make itself obvious to me when I get started with this whole thing? I am not sure exactly what that is or where to find it.) Thanks so much roban.

I suppose you can do that but like I said "If it was me...."

The changelog is in the CC 3.013 folder

I will follow the procedure as you suggested then. Ok, I am going to try it! I'm kinda nervous about this. In order to back up my current version, do I just copy the entire contents of cubecart to another location?

Thanks for the location of the changelog. I did some searching around yesterday and found it. I looked at the file itself, and it was kind of confusing. Am I supposed to use WinMerge with that changelog? If that is the case, which file will I be comparing? I am sorry for all of the newbie questions. I really appreciate all of your help!!! ;)

Ok, so here's what I did, and I am shocked that it worked because I thought for a moment that I royally screwed up:

1.) I downloaded the upgrade package for 3.0.13 in the downloads section of the CubeCart website.

2.) I created a "cubecart 3.0.10" folder on my server, and copied everything in my public_html folder over to that as a backup.

3.) Then, I followed the tutorial here in order to backup my database.

4.) Then, within the 3.0.13 upgrade package, I opened the upgrade folder, and followed the instructions in the file named "Upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.0.11". I believe that I was supposed to have downloaded the upgrade packages for 3.0.11 and 3.0.12, but I did not, and ended up immediately uploading the files for 3.0.13 located within the 3.0.13 upgrade package, within the uploads folder. I uploaded all files EXCEPT for the following:

One file: includes/global.inc.php

Entire folder: install/

Entire folder: language/

Entire folder: skins/

You can upload files with FTP - Your host should provide this or you might be able to get a copy online somewhere. Just Google "ftp".

5.) Then, as instructed in the file named "Upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.0.11", I did the following:

Upload upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php to the store root.

Run the script in your browser. (e.g. http://www.example.com/store/upgrade.php)

Delete this file after upgrade for security reasons.

Your store should have been upgraded.

My store looked the same, but I wasn't able to log into my Store Admin yet... Which is why I thought I really messed up by not downloading the upgrade packages for 3.0.11 and 3.0.12. So then I took a chance and did the following (as instructed in the file named "Upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.0.12"):

Upload upgrade/scripts/3.0.11-3.0.12/upgrade.php to the store root.

Then I went on to do the same thing again, as instructed in the file named "Upgrade from 3.0.12 to 3.0.13":

Upload upgrade/scripts/3.0.12-3.0.13/upgrade.php to the store root.

I didn't do this: Please clear your browsers cookies.

I was then able to log into my Store Admin, which now displays that I have updated successfully to 3.0.13, and my store looks and works exactly the way that it did before the update.

I hope that this is accurate, and that my store is actually updated. I hope this helps the other newbies a little bit. I know that I need detailed, step-by-step instructions in order to understand what the heck I am supposed to do.

Thanks for all of your help roban, I really really appreciate it!!! ;)