Can Cubecart do these?

Guest Meeven

Guest Meeven

I have an enquiry from a publisher of spiritual books who wants to set up an online book store for shipping the books mainly to their global customers. The client has some specific requests, so I thought it best to check here if Cubecart can do these things. Ideally, these things should be possible out of the box:

1. Differential pricing for each publication based on the registered location of the customer or the shipping address. For example, one price for US/UK customers and another for less developed countries. In fact, the org has three price bands for three groups of countries and they make all this known upfront.

I imagine it would work like this. When a registered user is logged in, the prices of the books would be displayed in the chosen currency of that user based on the country of registration. This price would be the final checkout price if the shipping address is that same country. If the user chooses a different shipping address, the shopping cart would update the prices based on the new address and this will be the final price/currency at checkout irrespective of the user's country of origin.

2. Ability to show stock details (out of stock)

3. Multiple shipping addresses. Either store multiple addresses and choose one at checkout or provide the ability to add one at checkout.

4. Profile info of customer registered once and auto-filled in for subsequent orders.

5. Easily add products and their images- the client is an organisation where retired people who will manage the system work as volunteers.

6. Support for ability to set, say, Indian rupees as the primary currency with the option to show the conversion to other currencies at checkout time or even during the course of the order.

#1 above would work in tandem with #6.

After watching the movies about cubecart, I am quite convinced it will meet my client's needs. I just need to know if the special requirements above will also be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Guest itrends

FYI: you can download and install the full version of cubecart for 100% free, for life. You only need pay if you wish to remove the "powered by cubecart" message from the site.

So download it and have a play as it may give you all the answers you seek.

Additionally, anything it doesnt do out of the box can often be found as a mod. Search Google or check out cubecart.org :P

Cheers

David

I have an enquiry from a publisher of spiritual books who wants to set up an online book store for shipping the books mainly to their global customers. The client has some specific requests, so I thought it best to check here if Cubecart can do these things. Ideally, these things should be possible out of the box:

1. Differential pricing for each publication based on the registered location of the customer or the shipping address. For example, one price for US/UK customers and another for less developed countries. In fact, the org has three price bands for three groups of countries and they make all this known upfront.

I imagine it would work like this. When a registered user is logged in, the prices of the books would be displayed in the chosen currency of that user based on the country of registration. This price would be the final checkout price if the shipping address is that same country. If the user chooses a different shipping address, the shopping cart would update the prices based on the new address and this will be the final price/currency at checkout irrespective of the user's country of origin.

2. Ability to show stock details (out of stock)

3. Multiple shipping addresses. Either store multiple addresses and choose one at checkout or provide the ability to add one at checkout.

4. Profile info of customer registered once and auto-filled in for subsequent orders.

5. Easily add products and their images- the client is an organisation where retired people who will manage the system work as volunteers.

6. Support for ability to set, say, Indian rupees as the primary currency with the option to show the conversion to other currencies at checkout time or even during the course of the order.

#1 above would work in tandem with #6.

After watching the movies about cubecart, I am quite convinced it will meet my client's needs. I just need to know if the special requirements above will also be possible.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the answers are obvious in the freely downloadable version. It is not a trial or crippleware. What you see is what you get. You can install it on a server - or if you do not yet have a hosted site, you can install and demonstrate CC on any device that can be configured to act like a local server using freely available software such as EasyPHP or the Joomla Server (known as JSAS).

The device could be a laptop, desktop or even a thumbdrive. You could build a fully functioning store - offline of course - and when you are ready, move it to a live server online.

But here are the answers to your questions . . .

A-1 - doing it in the manner you describe would require a modification (known around here as a "mod"). There are a number of people who could do it for you and those folks can be found over at the sister site, www.cubecart.ORG).

An alternative way of doing it would be to use the feature that offers "Product Options" to the buyer. The one possible negative for this is that all buyers would see the prices and if a buyer does not make a choice, the default price would apply.

A-2 There are options in the CC Control Panel that allows you to decide if an item displays information about stock and if out-of-stock purchases are allowed.

A-3 Multiple shipping addresses would require a mod. Someone over at the dotORG site could do it.

A-4 Visitors may register at any time, without without placing an order. But before the contents of the shopping cart can be processed as an order, the visitor must have registered and provided the required details. Some store owners will want to customize the registration with fields that are not in the original set. Adding fields to a profile is a fairly simply mod and I think there may be such a mod already exisitng over in the dotORG site.

A-5 The ease of adding categories and products and graphics, as well as descriptions and prices, through the CC Control Panel, is one of its best features. There are excellent free video tutorials here right now, on that issue and others. Look above for the link to "Support." Click on it and then look for "Tutorials."

A-6 Buyers may select a currency from almost any page of a Store. In the CC panel, you control which currencies are offered and manage the exchange rate.

SUMMING UP - install the download and many of our questions will be answered. Also, check out the free video tutorials and the many free tutorials over on the dotORG site.

Good luck . . .

Guest Meeven

iTrends and jerseyjoe, I want to thank you both for the tips and pointers. As you both suggested, it may be best for me to install and try out Cubecart to figure out the answers, but your responses sure did help me.

Many thanks <_<