Flash Intro & new template

Guest spryte22

Guest spryte22

I was wondering how to add a flash intro to my initial url to get into my store. Then I would like to have a different template for my store so was wondering which files to overwrite and where they are and all that. I am using SmartFTP.

Guest webicon

My initial thoughts are to tell you "DONT DO IT". I personally HATE flash intros - so do search engines, and anyone not on ADSL...

That aside.

If you had to create an intro page - the easiest thing would be to create an index.html page and add the .swf flash file to that.

It wont interfere with the install of the store (so you wont need to 'overwrite files') and .html files have presidence over .php on most cpanel installations (ask host to confirm this is the case)- so will automatically be your new 'default' homepage.

There are lots of useful information about changing the default cc template in the pinned post (at top of skins and templates forum) by Vrakus. that should get you started on changing the template. - thee are also a large number of freebee skins available at cubecart.org...

Hope that helps...

I agree with webicon entirely.

Flash intros are pointless. They only hurt your search engine traffic, annoy first time visitors, and you lose customers as a result.

I always move on from a site that has a flash front page. First impressions are everything, would you rather their first impression was your great products, or some animation they have to sit through before they can see what you sell? Ask yourself this.. how many of the big successful online stores have them?

But that aside... index.html will have presidence over index.php, so you could easily use that method as webicon suggests.

Guest spryte22

Flash intros are pointless. They only hurt your search engine traffic, annoy first time visitors, and you lose customers as a result.

I always move on from a site that has a flash front page. First impressions are everything, would you rather their first impression was your great products, or some animation they have to sit through before they can see what you sell? Ask yourself this.. how many of the big successful online stores have them?

But that aside... index.html will have presidence over index.php, so you could easily use that method as webicon suggests.

Ok, fine, scrap that idea. I am just looking for an edgy template is a really big thing. Not so boring. Use PleaserUsa.com as an example or something that is sweet looking. NOt lamo templates that come with your store. Also, I wouldn't have to interfere with my store because I have it so it is set up with the /shop/ extension. mydomain.com is still free and I would like just a cool intro page then to go there. It doesn't have to be flash, but all of my business cards have www.mydomain.com, not www.mydomain.com/shop. See what I mean.

Ok, fine, scrap that idea. I am just looking for an edgy template is a really big thing. Not so boring. Use PleaserUsa.com as an example or something that is sweet looking. NOt lamo templates that come with your store. Also, I wouldn't have to interfere with my store because I have it so it is set up with the /shop/ extension. mydomain.com is still free and I would like just a cool intro page then to go there. It doesn't have to be flash, but all of my business cards have www.mydomain.com, not www.mydomain.com/shop. See what I mean.

What can work really well is a mod to create a different layout homepage to the store. Check out CubeCart.org for a different homepage template mod.

Guest spryte22

I am really not digging the selection. I am wondering if I can buy/dowload elsewhere and then FTP it and use it in for my store. This is my first website, so sorry if I seem a little dumb. I do know that I want a more funky layout though and a sweet homepage before you enter the site, but with that it would be www.mydomain.com and then it would have a link into my store, www.mydomain.com/shop. So I just need help with what is compatible and where exactly to add it via SmartFTP. Thanks for any help.

Guest spryte22

You can easily move the installation to the root of the site. If you're not using SSL, then you only need to edit one file to get the store working in the new location.

So which file and what editing would I have to do? Excuse my ignorance. I am sure I am not the only :( here. :)

Oh, and what is SSL and its uses. I am still stocking my store so I haven't gotten that far. I remember one time I tried to secure my site and then it locked me out entirely. So I don't know what the deal was with that. I was sure that I did everything right but that is another issue all together.