Checking Or Finding The CSS - Templates

Guest Classic Crackers

Guest Classic Crackers

I see a lot of people asking for help with templates where they are trying to find the CSS for certain elements on a page. Can I recommend an extension for Firefox which is perfect for looking up the CSS on a page? It's called Firebug and is a completely free extension for anyone who uses the Firefox browser. It can be downloaded direct from the Firebug website:

http://www.getfirebug.com/

Install it and then open up a page in your Cubecart site in Firefox. Right click anywhere on the page and Firebug should open at the bottom of the screen. It will be divided into 2 panels. 1 will show the html of the page, the other will show the CSS. It will also display which CSS file the element is related to (either style.css or layout.css) I'm always getting confused with which one I should be looking at!

It saves you so much time and you can look at the slightest detail. For example if you want to find the CSS for the colours of your buy buttons, just right click on a buy button, select 'inspect element' from the pop up which opens up Firebug and tells you that your buy button is 'class=txt button' and is on line 187 of your style.css sheet (my site anyway!). You can hover over the results in Firebug and a pop up will even show you the colours being used just to make sure you are in the correct area! You can also edit the CSS and the changes will appear on your screen (this is just a preview not a permanent change)! So you can play with the CSS and see it's effect immediately! If you are happy with the changes open up the relevant file, makes the changes in your CSS sheet and upload it!

If you are trying to find out what bit of code or CSS is used to show an element on your page or any website for the matter Firebug is a great help to us novices!

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest wonky

Superb find! The Firebug addon is really great idea, particularly for working with other peoples code. Just a quick question, I see a mention of annotated CSS sheets on the forum. I've had a look around and used the search facility but havnt dug them out. Can anyone post a link?

Cheers.

Wonky