Moving database to new server AND CubeCart edition

Guest PLMaster

Guest PLMaster

Hi. My client has CC 3 on one server running fine. He wanted CC 4 on a new hosting company which has already been installed and such. Now it's just a matter of the database. I tried turning off SSL, exporting the db in phpMyAdmin, and importing it in to the new site through the new host's phpMyAdmin and that didn't seem to work. Is there something else needed to take the database from 3 to 4 on a totally new server...he does NOT want me to upgrade the version 3 on the old host, "in case 4 isn't as good" he says.

Thanks

Guest PLMaster

Unfortunately I can't. The CC4 is already installed on the new server. It was done before I got here and it would be next to impossible to convince him that I needed to take the time to dump the 4, install CC3 and upgrade right back to 4. He's a little stubborn. Is there a sql; patch I could use....just import the cc3 db and then run a patch to update it to 4?

You won't need to dump CC4 in order to install CC3 on the new server. You could just install CC3 into a subfolder.

However, I don't think you need to do that either. I just performed a test upgrade on my site, so the information is fresh in my mind.

What you want to do is to export a copy of your CC3 database from the old server first. However, before you do this, go into your General Settings and turn off SSL until you make the database copy. You can turn it back on immediately after.

This will give you a copy of your database to transfer to the new server without having a problem logging into the admin area.

You'll also need a copy of your CC3 /includes/ and /images/ folders.

Now, you'll upload the CC3 /includes/ and /images/ folders to the new server. If your FTP software gives you the option, upload only new (non-existing) files and do not overwrite the CC4 files that are already there. If your FTP software does not give you this option, you'll have to upload everything, then upload the CC4 versions again.

At this point, edit the /includes/global.inc.php file (on the new server) so that all file and database references are correct for the new server. (I'm assuming you've already created a database on the new server for CubeCart.)

At this point, the files on the new server should be right.

Now, import the CC3 database into the new server, and you're ready to begin the upgrade process as described in the README file that comes with CC4.

One other thing you should know -- CC4 has a default setting to email all previous customer who have a Pending order that is more than a few days old, informing them that the order is being 'canceled'. As soon as you get into the admin area, go to General Settings, under Styles and Misc, edit the last line "(Automatically cancel New Orders (Pending) after certain time:(Seconds)" to zero. This will stop it from happening until you're ready.

I have some unhappy customers who didn't know what was going on. I certainly didn't know about it either until it was too late.